• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-5000 problems, lacks, suggestions and improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Updated to 2.30 and A few days later while in a conversation on DMR my radio froze up. The display was frozen, none of the buttons work and I couldn't hear any incoming traffic nor could I transmit. I cycled power off and on and radio was restored. This has only happened once so far. Not yet a stable platform.

RK3AAG

Can't tell anything about 2.30, but V220_9887 is pretty stable. No lock-ups during weeks of operation, including DMR and P25. Not yet migrated to 2.30, because there is no description for this release.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
V 2.20 in my radio spontaneously reboots itself. Event is maybe 6 seconds and if you are not watching display you will never know. Put a video camera on my radio to document it. Haven't video recorded 2.30 yet to see if that is resolved. When I have some time I also need to find out if scanning P25 channels qualifies talk group as well as NAC. Still in DMR scanning ignores time slot and talk group making scan mostly worthless. Hope p25 is not the same even though talk group usage is not as common in p25 conventional.
Task Force just ordered a 3 deck mobile to evaluate so I'll get to torture it soon (initially, only 800 deck will have P25, VHF/UHF will have DMR I think). System not stable enough for me to buy my own mobile yet.

RK3AAG

V 2.20 in my radio spontaneously reboots itself. Event is maybe 6 seconds and if you are not watching display you will never know.
I agree, it could be. But I can't recall any frequent freezes or lock-ups as in the past. Also, NX5K is very fast in power cycle (it took only a few seconds), so I can miss automatic reboots. It's sad if this problem still existing, but I don't think it so serious.
Still in DMR scanning ignores time slot and talk group making scan mostly worthless. Hope p25 is not the same even though talk group usage is not as common in p25 conventional.
Agree!!! I totally hate this! But scan behavior remains the same or similar during V1...V2.2 FW versions and I can’t notice any changes. Both DMR and P25 are the same. Scan lands on every CAI activity (CC/TGID or NAC/TGID match is NOT required). And it's by design, and documented by Kenwood. This is the only radio do this, and I hate this behavior. But as you can see, Kenwood's option is it's OK. Looks like they are actually don't use their radios. And I could be also!

I remember funny story when I come across with Kenwood UK and Japanese R&D and middle-level management team (~6-7 years ago) on some NX trunking training. Before this I rolled-up their system and played with it for a few weeks, and I’ve played with TRBO for a few weeks as well. So, I was prepared for meeting. When I told them about a few lacks and limitations in NEXEDGE (the standard was young those days and a bit underdeveloped compared to MotoTRBO), their answers always were like this: place a huge order and we will develop custom FW for your network. They were not interested in common FW development and improvements. Now KW radios have a few things from my list implemented, but this way took 4-5 years and I bet a lot of users wanted them.

RK3AAG

Back to Issue # 3.

It's funny, but equalizer totally doesn't work in analog mode ONLY. But it’s operational in digital. But in digital modes (any one) radio sounds much better than in analog. I need equalizer and emphasis correction in analog! But equalizer settings ignored in analog, and emphasis control just doesn’t exist.

Both of these things discourage. Why is it not, when all the Chinese already have it? And everyone has an emphasis control (I posted screenshots in the beginning of topic)!

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Locks Up

NX5300 locked up again. This time I had to remove battery to reset. Was slightly different than first time since a few buttons appeared to work. Still, no receive or transmit and couldn't change channels or zones. When I turned radio off it displayed "powering off" which froze on display. Had to remove battery. This radio was supposed to replace my XTS and my XPR. Guess I'll still be carrying 2+ radios awhile longer....

RFI-EMI-GUY

NX5300 locked up again. This time I had to remove battery to reset. Was slightly different than first time since a few buttons appeared to work. Still, no receive or transmit and couldn't change channels or zones. When I turned radio off it displayed "powering off" which froze on display. Had to remove battery. This radio was supposed to replace my XTS and my XPR. Guess I'll still be carrying 2+ radios awhile longer....
This reminds me of a problem I have encountered with some Motorola Sabers. The CORE MCU has a crystal oscillator that fails and I have seen some that are just plain intermittent. If you can determine the frequency of the oscillator in the NX5300 and tune it in with an SSB receiver, you might catch it faltering. When this happens in a Saber, the clean note changes to an RTTY sounding pitch, probably because the chip is resetting.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
. If you can determine the frequency of the oscillator in the NX5300 and tune it in with an SSB receiver, you might catch it faltering. When this happens in a Saber, the clean note changes to an RTTY sounding pitch, probably because the chip is resetting.

Fascinating. Radio has been back to Kenwood and they said it was fine. Been assuming it was a firmware issue. Wow, while I was typing this I checked radio and it was locked again! This time volume knob worked to power down and back up again. Previously it locked up when I was playing with it but this time it was just sitting--in scan I think. When is it time to give up?

RFI-EMI-GUY

Fascinating. Radio has been back to Kenwood and they said it was fine. Been assuming it was a firmware issue. Wow, while I was typing this I checked radio and it was locked again! This time volume knob worked to power down and back up again. Previously it locked up when I was playing with it but this time it was just sitting--in scan I think. When is it time to give up?
If you can find out the MCU crystal frequency, you can monitor it without opening the radio. This isn't the TCXO that sets the TX and RX frequencies, yet that could fail as well.

As a practical matter, the radio you have sounds like it should have been replaced under warranty, when no trouble was found.

crazyboy

Anyone have a problem with the Nx5000 mobiles not consistently powering up on ignition? Have a 5300 that sometimes powers up, sometimes doesn't. It is not a wiring issue, it always powers down by ignition.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
As a practical matter, the radio you have sounds like it should have been replaced under warranty, when no trouble was found.

That's what a smart company would do. If I continued to have same problems with new radio they would know it was a design or firmware issue. Also they would have my old radio to torture.

crazyboy

Anyone have a problem with the Nx5000 mobiles not consistently powering up on ignition? Have a 5300 that sometimes powers up, sometimes doesn't. It is not a wiring issue, it always powers down by ignition.

That obviously should be 5800 not 5300.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
I don't have a mobile nx but I've had other mobiles that don't like the dip in voltage when engaging starter, especially if battery not great. Now if problem occurs before/without engaging starter then never mind. I have gotten ahead of myself so many times that it is usually wise for me to verify the basics first. Put volt meter on ignition sense while turning on ignition or starting vehicle (& power supply wire as well). If there is a glitch in voltage it may confuse radio power up sequence. A fix might be a capacitor. Is main power to radio constantly on or is it switched by ignition as well? Good firmware should detect errors and reset but apparently good programmers are rare.

If others are having same problem then it's probably firmware.

crazyboy

I don't have a mobile nx but I've had other mobiles that don't like the dip in voltage when engaging starter, especially if battery not great. Now if problem occurs before/without engaging starter then never mind. I have gotten ahead of myself so many times that it is usually wise for me to verify the basics first. Put volt meter on ignition sense while turning on ignition or starting vehicle (& power supply wire as well). If there is a glitch in voltage it may confuse radio power up sequence. A fix might be a capacitor. Is main power to radio constantly on or is it switched by ignition as well? Good firmware should detect errors and reset but apparently good programmers are rare.

If others are having same problem then it's probably firmware.

Main power is constant 12v. The ignition sense wont power up with the starter engaged so I son't see that being an issue. All of the other radios and equipment follow ignition sense flawlessly and they are connected to a common ignition sense fuse block. It has never had a problem following ignition sense to power down, only to power up.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
I'd say you have done all reasonable diligence. When frustrated by issues such as yours I usually unplug and replug everything and redo connections--works only about 2% of the time. Our group just got a 3 deck NX5000 so I'm anxious to see if we have similar problems.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Tried searching but couldn't find a definite answer....any word on a low band deck for the NX-5000 series ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

That's what a smart company would do. If I continued to have same problems with new radio they would know it was a design or firmware issue. Also they would have my old radio to torture.

Motorola had a program called Plan X and when a radio had too many explainable trips to the shop during warranty it could be replaced. A really good factory technician could spot a soldering problem or wrong parts placement. Good feedback for maintenance of the line.

RK3AAG

Tried searching but couldn't find a definite answer....any word on a low band deck for the NX-5000 series ?
Low Band dies worldwide and in US as well and most of LMR manufacturers stopped doing LB gear. This is tendency. Don't know about JVC, but I think that they are in trend.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told it's coming.
With the retirement of the TK-x90 series radios, including the TK-690, it leaves the TK6110 as the only low band radio.
Since California Highway Patrol is a big Kenwood Low Band customer, and CHP won't be moving off low band, they have a good business case to produce a modern low band radio. It was a while back I asked, but I didn't get a hard date. I think you'll see something in the next year.
Along with high power NX-5000 mobile decks. 100 Watt VHF/UHF decks are coming.

MSS-Dave

I was told it's coming.
With the retirement of the TK-x90 series radios, including the TK-690, it leaves the TK6110 as the only low band radio.
Since California Highway Patrol is a big Kenwood Low Band customer, and CHP won't be moving off low band, they have a good business case to produce a modern low band radio. It was a while back I asked, but I didn't get a hard date. I think you'll see something in the next year.
Along with high power NX-5000 mobile decks. 100 Watt VHF/UHF decks are coming.
I would absolutely love to see the performance on 6.25 kilohertz NXDN on low band...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.