• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood nx 5300 on ham DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

jperuta

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone else used a kenwood NX5300 uhf low split on Ham DMR? I’ve been using one for a little while. I love it however I have a question for the experts on the way they program their radio. I can’t scan the talkgroups in DMR programming like I can scan in analog or P-25. Is there something I could be missing?

b1tr41d

I use it all the time for Ham DMR.
There are two settings to look at, one is the individual channel scan check box.

The other is how you have the zone setup for scan.
In mine, I have it separated by location and setup for single scan. So it will only scan that zone that i'm currently on.
Also, I have the Zone Add box selected.

If you have it separated like I do and want it to scan multiple zones, you will need to change the Scan Type field to Multi-Zone.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Single scan like said enables the zone only and anything selected ( checked) by channel in that zone to scan.

There is scan list but takes more time to multi zone or setup a scan list.

I've found in each system on the nx5200 to set that at .50 both a and b. Seems to work fine and isn't as vigorous with the look back gap, or too high that it chops in chunks in the audio. Anything lower it'll sound like a hyper scan chopping in the look back.

In scan try to stay under 20 members. With more channels means more time to go through them and missing something. I typically stay at 16 per zone regardless of capacity. I believe it can without much loss scan 32 channels or so before any major missing in scan in channels. Just what I noticed.

jperuta

Premium Subscriber
I use it all the time for Ham DMR.
There are two settings to look at, one is the individual channel scan check box.
View attachment 79776

The other is how you have the zone setup for scan.
In mine, I have it separated by location and setup for single scan. So it will only scan that zone that i'm currently on.
View attachment 79777
Also, I have the Zone Add box selected.

If you have it separated like I do and want it to scan multiple zones, you will need to change the Scan Type field to Multi-Zone.

Thank you, I will have to see what mine is currently setup to do. And change it,

jperuta

Premium Subscriber
okay quick question it wont allow me to check Zone add when i have the single scan type selected. it only allows me to check zone add on multi zone any ideas?

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
In single, you dont need zone add. Single is the zone itself.

You'll need to setup your zone scan in the scan list in the main window separate from the personalities.

Some find it handy but I prefer single meaning the zone you're in will get scanned if each member is checked to scan for that zone.

It dont involve any tying into other zones.

If you're wanting to scan 1 to 5 channels I'd add them in the zone you're in and select single as scan.

One downside of Motorola is those dont give you options like kenwood does without any pain setup for scan lists unless you prefer multi zone, and zone type scanning. Why I prefer the NX line.

Most public safety will stick to the zone (single) and add the couple channels needed.

But I believe in multi zone you will need to setup the zone you want plus the other so they can relate to another. I could be wrong. I always stuck with single scan for 1 zone and it is flawless in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.