• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-5700 Mic Spec (Pin 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge93

Hello guys! I am looking for some details about the audio input of this device (Microphone pin). I was searching the datasheet and actually i have this:

Impedance Input : 600 Ohm
Allowable Frequency : 300 - 3000 Hz
Audio Level : 5.0 mVrms

I have little knowledge about electrical specification, and I don't know how to check the voltage input. Any help is welcome!

Regards.

bharvey2

Those are fairly common specs for a microphone. I've never used an NX-5700 radio but the mics listed for it are the KMC-35 (plain) and the KMC-36 (w/keypad). Another very common Kenwood mic is the KMC-59 used on older Kenwood mobile radios though I don't know if it's suitable for the NX-5700/5800 series of radios. What are you trying to accomplish?

Jorge93

Those are fairly common specs for a microphone. I've never used an NX-5700 radio but the mics listed for it are the KMC-35 (plain) and the KMC-36 (w/keypad). Another very common Kenwood mic is the KMC-59 used on older Kenwood mobile radios though I don't know if it's suitable for the NX-5700/5800 series of radios. What are you trying to accomplish?

Hello bharvey2 and thanks for response,

I don't know of this is possible:

I am looking to connect RaspberryPi's audio output(Jack 3.5mm) to this Pin and play some audio to the microphone. I googled about that, and I only found amplifiers for mic to speaker. I don't know if exist a similar but inverse process. Additionally, I got this answer: "you're going to need to massage the line level audio down to a level that the mic input is going to be happy with.". I am trying to get more information like: wich element to use, electric connection... But I still can't find the solution.

bharvey2

Depending upon which RP you have, I think the 3.5mm audio out could drive headphones. I think the mic element would be too small to generate a usable, audible output. I'm just guessing about your intent but if you want to generate two way audio, I think you'd be better off with a two way lapel/speaker mic. They have both a speaker and mic element in the same housing. You'd need to get creative with wiring though as mics for computers are often electret mics and need a power source.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Using the rear 25 pin (DB25) connector on the rear of the radio will give you the same access as the RJ-45. Might be easier to do the interface.

Pin 6 is MI2 (Microphone 2 input)
Pin 25 is Mic ground
You'll need to set up one of the i/o pins for PTT.
There's a detector out and audio out pin if you need those.

Specs are the same for the mic input as it is for the RJ-45 on the front.
You'll also need to turn on the MI2 input and program the PTT I/O port in software.

You MAY be able to use something like this to match the audio impedance/levels as necessary:

Jorge93

Sure, my idea is enable PTT using command from fleetsync protocol, then play some audio from the Raspberry Pi. As result, the connected radio transmit that audio through radio frequency to others radios, and these radios play that to their integrated speakers. It's like automated audio? I don't know how that term is, but it like to replace the person who say something on the microphone. I made an image as example:

As mmckenna says (thanks for your comment, by the way), it seems easier to use the DB25's pin.

I will be attentive to your comments.

Regards.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, do not use the front jack for this type of use. you will not be happy. 8 ohm to 600 ohm input, means impedance-mismatch.
Use the MI2 pin 6 as MM mentioned.
Next, you will need a circuit switch to command the PTT, I would suggest you look over Pi-IRLP on that setup, you can't just use
USB port off the rPi and think this is all good, for it is not. You need to go about it with the pi-IRLP method.

Jorge93

Yeah, do not use the front jack for this type of use. you will not be happy. 8 ohm to 600 ohm input, means impedance-mismatch.
Use the MI2 pin 6 as MM mentioned.
Next, you will need a circuit switch to command the PTT, I would suggest you look over Pi-IRLP on that setup, you can't just use
USB port off the rPi and think this is all good, for it is not. You need to go about it with the pi-IRLP method.

I was giving a little look to that device, and maybe it's what I am looking for, thanks for that suggest kd4efm. I will read more about that device today.

bharvey2

There are add on relay cards available for RPi devices (there may be TTL cards as well) that ca be driven by the RPi I/O pins.

Jorge93

I was searching about IRLP devices, and I found some interesting elements: Signalink USB and MFJ-1204. I watched some videos and theirs datasheet, and it seems like the device that I was looking for. What do you think guys?

The problem with Pi-IRLP is the cost, actually I have the Raspberry buyed. But if I didn't have one, it's definitely an option.

bharvey2

I haven't had any experience with either of those although many people seem to like the Signalink USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.