• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-700 - connection to radio issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

LimaZulu

Yesterday I was assigning some functions to the DTMF mic keys. Programming was successful. Then decided that some of them does not match my needs, so I went back to the software to reassign them. That's where all started. Every time i get "Error: Check all connections and COM port settings". And I did - all is fine. Unfortunately same error appeared every time I was trying to read the radio. The cable is good quality USB to COM and then COM to DB25. That's the way I was programming the radio every single time and never had any issues. Cable is working fine as I have other equipment that uses the same interface and tested it with successfully. COM port settings are the same I always used. The software I'm using is KPG-111D. I haven't changed the firmware or the software version. Basically nothing is changed except of some DTMF keys assignment. I'm clueless of what may went wrong, that's why I'm asking you, good and knowledgeable people! :)

W6BAR

I actually had this same problem this week with similar Kenwood Software. I went back and reset the settings I had messed with, which allowed me to write to the radio again. Try deleting the DTMF assignments and then re-writing them again, may fix the issue. Good luck!

LimaZulu

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one :) But....how the hell to delete assignments when I cannot read the radio at all? :) Even if I edit the file and try to upload it to the radio with unassigned DTMF buttons, same error appears.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I don't think there is anything in programming that will kill the ability to read/write to the radio (except the com port setting).

Sounds like cable or connection problems. Are things clean and tight? Loss of 12 volts at the mic jack will make the KPG-46 inoperative. The newer cables have a switch, make sure it is in the UART position. When I start to have problems I will reboot the computer only to find there is pending windows update which was causing issues.

If all that fails you can plug a 25 pin RS-232 cable directly into the connector on the back of the radio.

LimaZulu

Me neither but....
Other than that, I do use the 25 pin connector at the back of the radio. Never used front mic input for programming.
Anyways, I just managed to read/write the radio but instead of using pins 2,3 and 7 that are for RS232 connection I did it through pins 9,10 and 11 which are for TTL programming. Still don't know why RS232 stopped working for me... Glad that TTL is working.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Sometimes the cable comes loose from the computer and resets the COM PORT. Make sure the COM PORT is set to the right one that device manager is showing as the one being used...Sometimes it's the simple stuff. ;)

Regards,

-Frank C.

LimaZulu

Well, I did checked port settings (device manager and KPG software), checked the connections on both ends (radio and PC), restarted the radio and PC...nothing seems to fix the issue. The only way for me to read/write the radio was to use TTL instead of RS-232

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Did you happen to change any of the Comm port stuff on tab 3 of the Optional Features? Shouldn't impact it, but a fat finger could have changed something without your knowledge.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
I also see you're using the rear connector. Did/can you try the front connector? I've never had issues using the RJ connector on the front myself.

Regards,

-Frank C.

LimaZulu

Did you happen to change any of the Comm port stuff on tab 3 of the Optional Features? Shouldn't impact it, but a fat finger could have changed something without your knowledge.

Saw those options but never changed anything as I wasn't sure what exactly are they doing. But as you say, a fat finger could do anything.

I also see you're using the rear connector. Did/can you try the front connector? I've never had issues using the RJ connector on the front myself.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Never tried front connector as I don't have such cable. Technically speaking I could make one and try it. Would do it when I have some spare time.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Yeah sometimes a fat finger could do anything! I would make one up and try that. Pretty easy...Or a quick buy on fleabay works usually too. I have a backup cable from a reputable seller there that works flawlessly every time in a pinch.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Status
Not open for further replies.