• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX Scanning Frustration

swwifty

I've got a confusing question to ask about scanning on the Kenwood NX series of radios, so please bear with me.

I understand they can use a scan list, or simply scan zones or channels based on what you have selected. I prefer to be able to control my zone and channel scanning from the radio, if I need to alter it. I have my 5200 programmed to be able to zone add, zone delete, and scan add and scan delete from the controls.

The problem is, every time I write to the radio, all those settings get jumbled, and I have to go back through every channel and zone and make sure everything is selected or deselected to my preferences. I cannot find in the software where this feature is controlled. "Scan Add" is an option for each channel, and for every Zone under Zone Edit, but it does not seem to control which channels are set to scan and which zones are set to scan when the radio is written to.

I hope that makes sense, and someone can clarify this for me. The manual doesn't seem very clear on this at all, even though its quite good in some other areas.

Thanks.

swwifty

Well, I figured it out. I had a lot of compounding issues, but basically I confused myself. Scan add under each channel setting, and Zone add under Zone edit is what I was looking for. Multi-scan zone, that can be controlled from the radio itself is what I use.

Mods can delete this thread if they want, thanks.

swwifty

Rule Number 1 In Scanners and Radios
READ THE RADIO BEFORE MAKING CHANGES IN THE SOFTWARE.

yup, good point. I saw some strange behavior though regardless. I do like sometimes over riding the radio config so channels that are important can't get deselected from scan.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, if you're not reading the radio first, saving, then making changes, you're going to overwrite everything from the previous file (i.e. before settings changes, add/deletes, etc.). Common mistake. Not the end of the world, of course, but can be frustrating. Either edit your file with the desired settings or read the radio first (when you have it setup like you want).

swwifty

I just wanted to add some more follow up on this. This issue is definitely a bug. It might be firmware related as I'm running 4.51. Even if I read the radio first, and my scan options look correct, when I write it they go all out of wack. I'll report back after I upgrade firmware.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I just wanted to add some more follow up on this. This issue is definitely a bug. It might be firmware related as I'm running 4.51. Even if I read the radio first, and my scan options look correct, when I write it they go all out of wack. I'll report back after I upgrade firmware.
5.01 FW and CPS out btw