• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX200/210/220 series Operator Selectable Tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

brushfire21

Feed Provider
Does anyone here have any experience on how Kenwood's deal with the OST option for the NexEdge portable's? I am curious if the RX tone on channel stays the same (what is programmed into the firmware for that channel) when OST is on and using different TX pl tones. Hope this makes sense.... Thanks!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Great question. What you are referring to is the way RX tone is handled in the fire service firmware of the TK-790 and TK-X180. If left blank in the OST list, these radios will retain the RX QT/DQT that is entered in the channel edit section when OST is enabled and only the TX QT/DQT will change.

Normally for all other radios, when OST is enabled both the RX and TX tones are replaced by what is in the list regardless if the list has an entry or not. To move from area to area that would require a different RX tone (and still have access to the different TX tones to pick the repeater you want), you would have to leave the RX tone blank in the OST list and run the radio in carrier squelch. Not the best, but it works.

Flipping through the function manual for the NX-200 I do not see a reference where the new radios operate OST like is done with the fire service firmware so I assume it is the same as older Kenwood, the radios use both the RX and TX from the list.

Last edited:

brushfire21

Feed Provider
You hit it in the head on what my question is. The BK's and the 790's do it very well. The Icoms have the same issue as the RX tone changed to what is in the OST list. Thanks for the info, hopefully I will get this nailed down soon. Need to try and find a smaller radio than the BK, a little on the big side for everyday carry on the belt. Perfect for a chest harness though!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The one thing with the BKs that hasn't changed over the years is the form factor. Still a brick.
I have a Kenwood TK-2180 with the optional TFS firmware. Provides the same functions as the GPH-CMD or the TK-790 fire service (one button OST, command group, field programmable, etc.) and yes the RX OST does what you want.

Although it's not a compact portable, I would call the size "comfortable". The Li-Ion battery has plenty of poop (1900mAH) without adding to the bulk. Something to consider.

Attachments

• 2180.jpg
    2180.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 2,171

brushfire21

Feed Provider
I am not familiar with the TFS firmware, do you have anymore info or will my local dealer be able to figure it out? Having something similar to the BK's would be great, easier learning curve for the users that might use both radios.

Going to do a little googling on this!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
TFS (tactical feature set) is listed in the dealer price pages. If your dealer is not too familier, a TFS manual can be downloaded from Kenwood.

A final note, a K2 16 button radio should be considered. Makes it MUCH easier to use all the TFS functions.

brushfire21

Feed Provider
Thank you for the information!, finally up to speed on on the TFS now and have emailed my local Kenwood dealer for pricing and availability.

After googling it, found out the the guys who did the GPH/DPH-CMD firmware upgrades and the 790 upgrades were the same ones that did the TFS for the 2180 and 7180 radio's as well. I know those guys as I have dealt with them for many years here in California and have met them several times and like you they are right down the road from me.

Would be nice if that firmware upgrade could be done on the TK-210 or the 200 series as well, but I will settle for the 2180 at this point in time without the NXDN digital.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.