• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX3000 On/Off Controls Breaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been covered before on the NX320 series where users have reported the on/off volume controls breaking. The whole shaft on the control separates and pulls out of the control. Now we are seeing the same thing happening on the NX3300 series. Not a whole bunch but it is still a common issue that we see for the number of units sold. Has anyone else experienced this issue on the newer NX3000 series? We thought KW recognized this issue on the NX320's and possibly would have improved the on/off controller, but it is haunting us again. We can't figure out how these users keep breaking the shaft. We even took a water-damaged unit and threw it around the shop to try seeing if we could break the shaft and could never duplicate it. Anyone else have input to share?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've got a few hundred NX-410's that haven't had this issue.
I've got about 20 NX-420's, that haven't had this issue.
I've got about 20 NX-3400's now, and still haven't seen this issue. I carry one every day, no problems.

Wondering if users are not understanding you have to press in the release spring to remove the knob? I've got some users that are notoriously hard on radios and they tend to find weaknesses pretty quick. Having seen this happen, though.

Hate to tell you but you have a USER PROBLEM if USER PAYS THE BILL THE RADIO WILL STOP BREAKING.
I kinda figured that from the beginning, these users must hate their job or their supervisors and break on/off controller so they can say their radio broke. I just wanted to see if anyone else has these same issues out there. Thank you :)

One question, though….
Are you guys installing the limiters on the channel/group knobs? I removed all those on ours and let them spin all the way.
Nope on the channel limiters. It's the on/off volume controller that they keep breaking. It's not an issue of them trying to take off the knob either. They just show up at the shop and the shaft is pulled out of the top of the radio with the knob still attached. The guys dropping the units off don't know how it's happening. I first thought they were purposely breaking them, but since it's happening to different units/serial numbers I am not so sure it's purposeful. It could just be negligence or dropping their unit more often on the cement or pavement

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Nope on the channel limiters. It's the on/off volume controller that they keep breaking. It's not an issue of them trying to take off the knob either. They just show up at the shop and the shaft is pulled out of the top of the radio with the knob still attached. The guys dropping the units off don't know how it's happening. I first thought they were purposely breaking them, but since it's happening to different units/serial numbers I am not so sure it's purposeful. It could just be negligence or dropping their unit more often on the cement or pavement

Trying to fathom how dropping a radio can cause the volume pot shaft to come out. Really sounds like someone pulling on them?

This is why some people are better off with an FRS radio.

EWC_BDN

I've seen companies that all the users break the stop at the max setting of their volume control, but never mass control shaft exodus like you're seeing.

Do your users wear gloves when the use the radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.