• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX900 MHz Radios, USA Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dapaq2

Group,

I was recently told by a dealer that the Kenwood NX 900 MHz models such as the NX411, NX900, NX901 and NXR901 are NOT FOR USE in the United States, only in Russia and Africa and cannot be sold by a dealer in the United States. Are they really not available for the USA market???

Doug

MSS-Dave

If your dealer says he can't get them in the US market, something wrong with his dealer status then. In my most current LMR dealer pages.

Maybe he meant to say he Can't sell to Russia or Africa. There is export control on some of this stuff because of encryption or software available.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dapaq2

Exact wording was... "None of the radios you talked about are available for USA use. All Africa and Russian. Can’t sell them anyway."

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, your dealer is wrong.

I've got a bunch of NX-900's here in the USA. NX-901, NX-411 and NXR901 all have FCC type certification. Kenwood would not waste the money getting those FCC certification if they were not going to be sold in the USA.

Also, all three of the 900MHz products are in the US price guide.

I'd find another dealer.

dapaq2

Ok, Thank you for that information. It may be that he just does not want to sell THOSE particular radios for whatever reason(s) and said that to avoid the sale. I don't know.

Doug

SVFC462

Feed Provider
My police cruisers have them in them because motorola came in years ago and told someone analog 800mhz was the best thing since sliced bread ....

My officers use Motorola portables and the mobile units are Kenwood because they are a better price than new 800mhz radios

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Just know these radios wont play in the 902 to 928 portion, the Kenwood guy I know has been trying his luck on the nx901 and nxr901, to no avail it does not play nice at all, the filters are too tight. Just so your aware. I want to have a 900 ham Kenwood too, but not in my future right now.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AD0TY

Just know these radios wont play in the 902 to 928 portion, the Kenwood guy I know has been trying his luck on the nx901 and nxr901, to no avail it does not play nice at all, the filters are too tight. Just so your aware. I want to have a 900 ham Kenwood too, but not in my future right now.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

My understanding is that this is not the case with the NX-901. Unfortunately I haven't had the privilege of getting one of these on my bench, so I can't 100% verify this, but from what I've read they play along just fine. The repeater is a different story.

swen_out_west

I have a friend of friend, whose friend (lol) is trying to get a NX-411 to operate on 927 Mhz. I haven't really researched yet but just gonna throw it out here for a quick answer, then I'll study later tonight.

Is it even possible?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's been brought up, but I have not heard it's been done.
The firmware is the same between all the NX-x10 and NX-x00 models, so it's not as simple as putting different firmware in it.
It would likely require some level of hex editing.

I know that several of the people at Kenwood are active hams, and I'd bet they'd figure it out, but not sure it's worth it as a business case.

Status
Not open for further replies.