• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NXDN Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Will the NXDN radios also work in analog mode?

I ask because one of the smaller private ambulances in my area uses a UHF NXDN trunk system for dispatch. However, they also have a 9-1-1 contract with a town in their service area. That town uses P25 UHF for dispatch, but has a UHF analog channel set aside for "EMS-PD Interop".

I doubt that the ambulance radio does P25, but if it can do analog UHF, some of what I hear would make a lot more sense.

Thanks.

n1das

Kenwood NEXEDGE and Icom iDAS NXDN radios support legacy analog mode no problem. Some of the mixed mode behavior is a little different between them when switching back and forth between NXDN digital and plain old analog modes.

Kenwood's NEXEDGE supports 12.5k and 6.25k NXDN modes. iCom's iDAS only supports 6.25k NXDN mode. iCom and Kenwood's NXDN modes are compatible in 6.25k mode only and on conventional systems. The NXDN trunking formats are different for each and are incompatible. I think iCom decided to go straight to 6.25k NXDN mode instead of supporting 12.5k NXDN as a migration path. I have successfully used Kenwood NEXEDGE radios on iCom iDAS conventional systems in 6.25k NXDN mode.

I have a few UHF Kenwood NEXEDGE handhelds (NX-300) and I've used them in analog mode on the 440 ham band and they work great there and also on GMRS. Same with iCom iDAS handhelds.

UHF Kenwood NEXEDGE handhelds have Part 95 FCC type acceptance in addition to Part 90, making them squeaky clean and legal as GMRS equipment in analog mode. OTOH, iCom iDAS radios are Part 90 only. Kenwood's UHF NEXEDGE mobiles are Part 90 only, IIRC. This is from looking up my NX-300 back in 2009.

:)

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The Kenwood NX-5000 line will do analog, NXDN, P25 and DMR, so there are options.

All Kenwood NXDN/NexEdge radios do analog very well. I've got about 400 of them on my system and they all have backup analog channels.

n1das

the kenwood nx-5000 line will do analog, nxdn, p25 and dmr, so there are options.

All kenwood nxdn/nexedge radios do analog very well. I've got about 400 of them on my system and they all have backup analog channels.

nx-5000 --> * DROOL *

garys

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to everyone for the answers. From the little I know about this particular service, the ownership is parsimonious. To say the least. :D

The Kenwood NX-5000 line will do analog, NXDN, P25 and DMR, so there are options.

All Kenwood NXDN/NexEdge radios do analog very well. I've got about 400 of them on my system and they all have backup analog channels.

12dbsinad

Thanks to everyone for the answers. From the little I know about this particular service, the ownership is parsimonious. To say the least. :D

Most all commercial/Public safety digital format radios are backward compatible with regular legacy analog. It would be a total mess if they didn't.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Kenwood NEXEDGE and Icom iDAS NXDN radios support legacy analog mode no problem. Some of the mixed mode behavior is a little different between them when switching back and forth between NXDN digital and plain old analog modes.

Kenwood's NEXEDGE supports 12.5k and 6.25k NXDN modes. iCom's iDAS only supports 6.25k NXDN mode. iCom and Kenwood's NXDN modes are compatible in 6.25k mode only and on conventional systems. The NXDN trunking formats are different for each and are incompatible. I think iCom decided to go straight to 6.25k NXDN mode instead of supporting 12.5k NXDN as a migration path. I have successfully used Kenwood NEXEDGE radios on iCom iDAS conventional systems in 6.25k NXDN mode.

Looks like the latest line of NXDN radios from iCOM are capable of 12.5KHz NXDN

16K0F3E, 14K0F3E, 11K0F3E, 8K50F3E ,8K30F1E/D, 4K00F1E/D

Those are the emissions right off the iCOM flyer for their latest NXDN radios.

Both companies are building radios that can be used on both type C and type D trunk systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.