• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NXR-700 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

canthonysmith

Does anyone know what type of cable I need to program a NXR-700 repeater? Is it a straight through serial cable or crossover?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Serial Null modem cable.

kd4efm Evans, sent using TapTALK on my HTC M9

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Kpg-109 also... if you don't have it already.

N8CAM

I have an nxr-700 and with the null modem cable it wont read the repeater at all... AM i doing something wrong?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have an nxr-700 and with the null modem cable it wont read the repeater at all... AM i doing something wrong?

Well, yeah, if you can't read it, you are doing something wrong. Kind of hard to tell you what with the information you provided.

Did you choose the right COM port in the <SETUP> tab?
Are you confident your cable is good?
Are you using the right version of software?

What kind of error are you getting when you try to read the repeater?

N8CAM

I am positive the cable is good because i use it with other things.. does the repeater have to be put in a programming mode? I am using KPG-109d version 5.00. Thanks!

Attachments

• repeater.jpg
    repeater.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 457

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I am positive the cable is good because i use it with other things.. does the repeater have to be put in a programming mode? I am using KPG-109d version 5.00. Thanks!
Found out its xp on a virtual box....
Told him to use a regular PC with 7 or better OS and try again.

Virtual machines can not process the data stream correctly, even if it works on other radios , there are some that you should not use VM and KPG FPU on or with...

We will see what happens when he gets back to me.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No, it doesn't need to be put in programming mode. You should be able to plug your cable in and read the radio.

KPG-109DN 5.00 is the latest version. It should be compatible with even the oldest NXR-X00 firmware. If it wasn't, it would usually give you an error telling you that, or something similar.
The error you are showing is saying it can't even talk to the repeater. That would suggest one or more of a number of issues:

1. Your COM port on your computer is not set up correctly
2. Your COM port on your computer is broken.
3. You are trying to use a USB adapter that isn't compatible with the software/computer/repeater. (you should be using a real com port.
4. The cable is bad.
5. The repeater is damaged.

It's hard to tell without us being their to try it with known working stuff. Like I said, the error you are getting is saying it can't communicate with the repeater in any way.

I use an old laptop with a real RS-232 serial port running KPG-109DN. I've got a trunked system using NXR-900's. Haven't had any issues connecting to the repeaters.

So, just for clarification:
You are connecting to the DB-9 on the front of the repeater?
You are using a null modem serial cable wired for RS-232?

From the manual:
There are a few types of null modem cables available in the market. Make sure to use one of the following null modem cables that meets the following specifications.
Cable Specifications: Null modem cable with full handshaking (cross-wired) or InterLink cable that is usually used to transfer files between PCs.
Connector Specification (both cable ends): DB-9 female

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Found out its xp on a virtual box....
Told him to use a regular PC with 7 or better OS and try again.

Virtual machines can not process the data stream correctly, even if it works on other radios , there are some that you should not use VM and KPG FPU on or with...

We will see what happens when he gets back to me.

OK, that makes sense. I figured it was something like that.

N8CAM

Negative, I was not using a Virtual Machine. I just have that on the pc for the old xts-3000 stuff. I don't have the DN version.. Could that be the problem?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Negative, I was not using a Virtual Machine. I just have that on the pc for the old xts-3000 stuff. I don't have the DN version.. Could that be the problem?
I hit send just after I got the email. My apologies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Unlikely. If there is a programming software versus firmware mismatch, it'll give you an appropriate error message.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, I'm doing some reading on this.

Make sure the KPG-109 is set to the correct repeater model, frequency, etc.
Make sure you are on the right comm port.
Check your baud rate setting. It defaults to 115200, but it should work at slower speeds.

Is this a new repeater, or one you purchased used?
Were you ever able to read/write to it?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, bear with me, still trying to figure out what the issue could be....

What version of KPG-109 are you using?
--Usually it'll give an error about the software not being compatible with the firmware in the repeater if that's the issue, but it doesn't sound like it.

What is the exact wording of the error message you are getting?

What windows version are you running? Is it a real windows machine, or is it something else?

You are using a real RS232 port and not a USB<-->RS232 adapter, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.