• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood P25 / TK 5320 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

slapshot0017

Hi guys,
I've scoured everywhere for this and haven't really found a straight forward answer. So here's my question:

1. Will Kenwood's P25 capable radios do Motorola's 9600 trunking, Smartnet or any other Motorola proprietary Trunking system.
I ask this because my dealer friend has to get into a contract with Kenwood before he can sell the P25 radios and doesn't know if they will do those features (mainly the 9600 P25 CAI). If they do then it would be worth it for him, but if not I am SOL and need to find another place to buy a TK 5320.

2. Does Kenwood's TK 5320 or any of the P25 capable radio's receive trunking channels on conventional personalities unlike how they do not when you are receiving an NXDN system without the system key.
I ask this because I can do it on my XTS 2500, but I am looking to sell it because I also own an NX 200 and absolutely love the radio and Kenwood better than Motorola...

Thank you!
Austin KD2BRR

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
But they will do the 9600?

They support 9600 baud CAI trunking, the do NOT support any of the Motorola proprietary feature sets.

They do work on Astro 25 7.xx systems, there are some on the DeKalb county, GA DTRS.

They require a Kenwood issued Network key and System key for each trunking system, Motorola software and hardware (ASK) keys don't work. Kenwood only provides these to the legitimate system owners. They also handle ISSI a little differently than Motorola subscriber radios, and setting up templates for them is a bit different than Motorola Astro 25. Kenwood does offer classes and I STRONGLY suggest anyone involved attend them.

What else do you want to know? If your "friend" is an authorized Kenwood dealer, he can get with his channel partner and attend upcoming webinars on the new P25 products. Kenwood systems also offer training. Probably a good idea to give his account rep a call or email.

slapshot0017

He was actually headed to IWCE this week so that's when he was going to talk to his rep. I just wanted to make sure more for my purposes so I could think ahead.

As for the trunking monitoring I was asking if you could monitor the frequencies conventionally like you can on a Motorola radio. Like say my county has a phase 1 P25 system and I want to listen to it. I would put in each frequency and set the personality as digital and make the NAC CSQ so as to hear everything. That's how it is on Motorola can you replicate that on the Kenwood?

I'm not actually going to put the system into the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.