Kenwood Portable UHF's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linn

I use a Kenwood TK-380 at work. I use it to listen to our EMS provider on an LTR trunked system and some neighboring agencies on UHF. I rarely transmit on it, but it gets pretty good reception. The programming software and cable are easy to find.

Linn
www.texascop.blogspot.com

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
denseglow said:
Kenwood, Boo!! Go Motorola!

Now that's not nice....

I've carried motorola and I've carried kenwood for my duties and I'll stick to my kenwoods. Motorola is just rediculously overpriced and there's too many very expensive hoops to program (legaly). Don't get me wrong, motorola makes some slick stuff, it's just way overkill for most users.

I presonally recommend the Kenwood TK-380. I've had several of them that I've sold and the Kenwood TK-x80 series of handhelds are excellent. You can have the quickcall tones programmed in them that you have been inquiring about to alert when a call goes out. It has 250 channels and will do either conventional or LTR systems. They have 1 watt and 5 watt settings (dealer programable).

You can find them ranging from $150 to $250 depending on condition.

They can be programmed for receive only which is what you mentioned you were looking for in the other threads.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I have a Kenwood TK-880 Mobile that works great, I have it mounted in my explorer with a 780 on top of it. Good loud audio.

I have owned two TK-380's, and they are good radios as well, although I never used them much.

Another good radio is the TK-3140, which is like a compact version of the TK-380, but only comes in limited keypad models. It still supports the full 250 channels, enhanced fleetsync, etc.

16b

Premium Subscriber
I had a TK370 for a while. Good radio, had a sensitive receiver. Receive audio got pretty distorted when cranked up, but sounded real nice at normal levels. Transmit audio was excellent; better than some Motorola radios. I would recommend one.

car2back

I have a good VHF Kenwood; actually it's a good Chinese Kenwood knockoff (Abell) TK278. I bought it cheap on Ebay a couple years ago to use as a throw away I didn't care about beating up for fire dept work. It's still going strong, right now a friend of mine that just got his ticket is using it for a 2 meter walkie. the audio quality on both the Tx and Rx ends is outstanding! It's also field programable, so talk about instant interoperabilty :D

Last edited:

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
landonjensen said:
Does anyone on here own a good UHF Kenwood Radio? Any Suggestions On Good Ones?
My brother's catering buisness uses Motorolas.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
KE4ASQ said:
That is a major reason, I am selling most of my ham radio portables.

I rarely use my ham portables anymore. I have a Kenwood TK-280 I use for 2 meter work. It's a workhorse of a radio. There's definately a difference between kenwood's Ham and Commercial gear. All of my commercial gear is now Kenwood. Just much easier to work with and program.

Status
Not open for further replies.