• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood ProTalk NX-P1300NU UHF

Pdidy

Hello!

Long story short my work just got brand new radios, and I was able to snag two of the old ones (Kenwood ProTalk NX-P1300NU UHF). Granted these aren't very old but they usually get new ones every few years. Anyway, I am a beginner when it comes to the radio world. My plan was to use these radios for recreational purposes, maybe even take them when I go hunting, etc. What I do know is that I want to do this all legally and more than likely I will need to purchase the programming software. The questions I have are:

1. I was doing some research and thinking about purchasing a gmrs license and using these radios on that frequency. Is that the best/right way to go about it?
  2. Does anyone know of a legit place I can buy the programming software online without going to a dealer/ or should I go through a local shop?
  3. Lastly, will these radios even work for the purposes I intended to use them for?
  4. When I tried to get the radios into setup mode nothing would happen. I am assuming whoever programmed the radios for my work disabled all of that?
I would appreciate all the help and advice I can get! From what I read these are pretty nice radios and even though they are business models they should hopefully do what I want.

wd8chl

GMRS is probably the best way to go for that. You can just go to fcc.gov and do some searching to find the path for licensing. It's harder to find the info than it is to actually do it.
As to #4, yeah they probably did do that. The software should be able to clear that.
You'll need to find a Kenwood dealer near you to get the software from.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I was doing some research and thinking about purchasing a gmrs license and using these radios on that frequency. Is that the best/right way to go about it?

A GMRS license only permits transmitting on a very specific set of frequencies included the GMRS frequency pool. These Kenwood NX-P1300's do NOT include those frequencies. As the radios are now, there is no way to make them work on the GMRS radio service.

The only way to use those radios -legally- is to do so under an appropriate FCC issued Part 90 (Business/public safety) license. A GMRS license will not cover it.

These "ProTalk" radios are limited to a specific set of preprogrammed frequencies that the end user/business would choose from a predetermined list. Those preprogrammed frequencies are the only option you have, and again, not covered by a GMRS license.

-------

The Kenwood NX-P1300NU is a Kenwood NX-1300NU running "Protalk" firmware. With that firmware it's locked to those pre defined business channels.

The Kenwood KPG-D6NK software will allow you to make some changes to the radio. I'm not sure if it'll allow you to program in your own channels.

Back many years ago, the older ProTalk radios could be reflashed with the non-ProTalk firmware and be programmed as normal. I've not had my hands on any of these new ProTalk radios, so I'm not sure if this can be done or not.

You could try simply reprogramming the ProTalk radio and see if it'll allow you to put in the GMRS channels. KPG-D6NK software runs $104 from Kenwood (only place to get it) and the official Kenwood programming cable is $162, although you can find after market cables cheaper.

----
Other issue: These radios do NOT have the FCC Part 95 (GMRS) Type Certification to be legally used on GMRS. Your choice what you do with that information.

1. Does anyone know of a legit place I can buy the programming software online without going to a dealer/ or should I go through a local shop?

Only place to get it is from a Kenwood dealer. The software requires an activation key and has a system where it checks in with Kenwood.

1. Lastly, will these radios even work for the purposes I intended to use them for?\

See above. Honestly, by the time you go through the process of buying the software, cables, learning curve and possibility of it not working without a firmware flash, you could probably just get some decent GMRS radios and be ahead. You could probably sell those on E-Bay and get a good price, and put that towards better radios.
If you want the challenge of trying to make this work, then that's up to you.

1. When I tried to get the radios into setup mode nothing would happen. I am assuming whoever programmed the radios for my work disabled all of that?

Usually the dealer or the company that owns the radios will lock this out to prevent end users from changing to channels they are not licensed to use.

I would appreciate all the help and advice I can get! From what I read these are pretty nice radios and even though they are business models they should hopefully do what I want.

I've got about 80 of those in the non-ProTalk version running at two different sites at work. They are a good low end radio for business/light industrial applications. Have not had any issues with them.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
The only legit place to get the software is a Kenwood dealer. Make contact with a local dealer. They might have a purpose for those radios and be able to trade you suitable FRS/GMRS radios for less than you're going to be invested in the programming software, cables, and licensing. Where in the world are you located?

dryfb

These can be converted to standard NX1300s, I've had my 1302 converted so I know it's possible. For NX-x40 radios I just started writing to the radio, turned the radio off while it was writing to clear the programming then just put a normal model codeplug into it. No idea if that will work for 1300s but there are dealers who will convert it.