Kenwood R-5000 and the keybounce issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Earlier this year, I purchased a Kenwood R-5000 off of Ebay offered by a seller I've tracked for quite a while. The seller disclosed that the radio did suffer from keybounce, so I knew that going into the transaction. Anyway, I used the radio for several months before the decided that the issue needed addressed.

I found a write-up of one solution that involved some detailed work with a soldering iron. Much beyond my talent, so I sent the details to my radio guy. He looked it over and initially felt that success was a 50/50 proposition. But he said he would give it a go.

He completed the work and when the radio was returned, there wasn't a hint of the original problem. Yahoo!

So, if you find you are looking for one of these fine receivers, don't let the potential of keybounce deter you. It can be successfully addressed.

Mike s Web Site - R-5000 Keypad bounce mod

--
Mike

phask

Premium Subscriber
What did you pay for the 5000? Have one I never use and wondering.

Earlier this year, I purchased a Kenwood R-5000 off of Ebay offered by a seller I've tracked for quite a while. The seller disclosed that the radio did suffer from keybounce, so I knew that going into the transaction. Anyway, I used the radio for several months before the decided that the issue needed addressed.

I found a write-up of one solution that involved some detailed work with a soldering iron. Much beyond my talent, so I sent the details to my radio guy. He looked it over and initially felt that success was a 50/50 proposition. But he said he would give it a go.

He completed the work and when the radio was returned, there wasn't a hint of the original problem. Yahoo!

So, if you find you are looking for one of these fine receivers, don't let the potential of keybounce deter you. It can be successfully addressed.

Mike s Web Site - R-5000 Keypad bounce mod

--
Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Never use!!!

OK, I'm back. I paid just over $500 for this one, mainly because the 3 R-1000s that I had been bidding for went for (to me, anyway) obscene amounts. I knew the seller was accurate about condition and even with the keybounce, it was worth it to me.

--
Mike

phask

Premium Subscriber
Sell mine in a minute for $500 :) I can't even remember if it has any bounce, it does have the issue where it seems dead until it's plugged if for an hour or so. Once it's "electrified" it worked fine. I just lost interest.

- probably in the same are a- I'm in Zanesville -

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Westerville here, since 1994. Columbus area since 1974. Came down for school and just never left. :)

--
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.