• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood Radio Questions from an Amateur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello RR Community,

I have been a scanning/radio enthusiast ever since I was in the 5th grade. My father bought me a RadioShack scanner as my elementary school graduation present so I could listen to the many members of our family who were law enforcement officers.

Ever since then, my interest in radios and such has grown. I don't know why, but I was always intrigued with such things. After scanning my local police department for many years, the department switched to an OpenSky system, which I cannot scan without an expensive upgrade.

That's when I started to learn more about the GMRS and FRS systems. My mom bought me two Motorola basic radios last year, and I just enjoyed using them. I also got a job working at a place that uses radios for communication.

Well, I want to take my interest up to the next level. I recently saw a TK-3217 radio for sale online. These are the exact ones we use at my work, and its price is reasonable. I was considering using some of my Christmas money to buy it. I just wanted to ask some questions though to you Kenwood veterans before I make the dive.

First of all, I'd like to be able to program the radio to use my work's frequencies, so I don't have to worry about being questioned when I go to my office to pick one up (they ask me a bunch of questions about the event I'm working at, and I have to sign it out) and also so I can talk with my co-workers off duty in case they need help. Our work uses an LTR Standard analog system which frequencies are available on here. How easy is it to program the talkgroups into this scanner?

Second, the ad claims that it can store 128 channels, but you can only select one of 16 channels at a time. How does that work?

Any other advice for someone like me would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

CVC

Last edited:

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The TK-3217 is an export radio and is not available through USA dealers. Not that you couldn't buy online, but you will have a tough time getting support (ie program software) here. The USA equivalent is the TK-3212, and if you need LTR trunking for work, neither of these models support that. They are conventional only. You need to look at the TK-3180, 3140 or 3173 for LTR.

See if you can find something that fits your needs. A good used TK-380 wouldn't be bad either, and then we could help you with the model specifics...

Raptor05121

I have a TK-2180 (VHF version of 3180) and it has everything you need. Like Ramal said, that 3217 is going to be tough to get software and cables for it. I am a KW dealer and I don't see anything for that model.

Thank you guys very much for your responses. I ended up purchasing a used TK-3212 for an excellent price, came with a charger and a shoulder mic. But that was before reading that it had no LTR. Oh well, it'll still be a great radio for FRS/GRMS. I also purchased the programming stuff for it.

Are there any other places I can purchase used radios on the cheap side besides eBay? I still have some cash left over and I'd like to buy an LTR one.

Status
Not open for further replies.