Kenwood TH-D72A problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalliant

I purchased a new TH-D72A and it's a beautiful radio. Full of features, but it was supposed to be all set up for Toronto, Ontario but when my friend tried to use it, all that came out of the repeaters was static. It's a mobile radio, and it is programmable by using the MCP-4A software. I have reset this radio a few times and we still couldn't get it to work. I don't suppose someone has experience with this radio or a Kenwood MCP file that I could upload into the radio ? I am getting my licence at the end of July (if I pass the exam) and I would love to be able to use the radio. Right now I have to get my friend over who is licenced and I am starting to feel that I am starting to get on his nerves. He keeps coming over to try and get it working. Either that or it's my cooking, but I highly doubt that. If anyone has any idea's could you please send them my way ?

Thank you very much for your time

Chris Valliant

N8IAA

Where did you buy it? And who originally programmed the radio?
Have you tried it in VFO mode on the repeater?
Remember, it is only 5 watts on transmission because it is a HT, and you are using the antenna that came with it. It may not have the reach you need to access the repeater.
Just wondering,
Larry

cvalliant

Thanks for the reply Larry, It was originally programmed by someone Kenwood. It advertised that it worked right out of the box. It had 20 repeaters programmed in, on both 2m and 440. My friend was able to make contact with people on the repeater but they reported that all they were receiving was static. I even went down to his car and listened to his radio and it worked fine on simplex but as soon as we tried a repeater, all that came through was static. I am beginning to think there is something wrong with the radio, I just wanted to be sure before I sent it back to Radioworld.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
If you could tell more about the settings on the radio and the frequencies, someone may be able to help. You should know all this if you are going to get licensed. And the time to start is now. Not sure why you had to reset, as this should be the last thing. If it was set up for you and now reset, the problem could be any number of things. So try and give us a little more information. Just saying the car doesn't start, won't help anyone say what is wrong. Same as radios. When posting a problem, it would really help to know repeater offsets, repeaters you are talking about, tones, receiving frequencies, mode [AM or FM in the case of this radio, or ARPS if on the standard frequency]. And with P25, DMR, D-Star, Fusion repeaters, were you trying to listen to a digital repeater as the 72 does not have these digital modes. Are you in a building when this happens, what kind of building, what type of antenna, how far from the repeaters are you. If you could supply more information, someone may be able to help.

cvalliant

Sorry, when I said I reset the radio, I just erased all the memories, I didn't actually do a hard reset. I set up the repeater frequency, the pl tone, and the offset. I am just having a hard time understanding the CSCSS/DCS tone. I haven't studied that part in detail yet. We are using the radio with the whip antenna that came with the radio on the roof of my condo, so we are 7 floors up and can see the CN Tower. For example, I am trying one repeater at a time, just to try and listen to people using it. It's VE3TWR at 145.410 negative offset pl tone 103.5. Now when my friend keys up in his car, I can hear him fine, but when he tries my radio and I am in his car, I hear the repeater turn on, and all that comes through is static, then when he releases the ptt key his squelch activates. There has to be something simple that we are missing.

Thank you very much
Chris

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Make sure that the radio's battery is fully charged and that it is transmitting using high power. There should be an "H" in the upper left corner of the display to indicate high power. Also make sure the repeater offset is correct. When the radio is transmitting, it will show the exact transmit frequency.

ve3vxy

Kenwood TH-D72A

Just an update to this thread, fist I just wanted to let you know that Chris has passed away before he was able to write for his exam, I bought out his estate and have this radio. First of all the programing was wrong and the radio was reprogram and now works fine, so what I wanted to say is that if you are new to ham radio please do not buy radios and then try to program them and then write that there are problems with the radios. This is a good example of what may happen.

73 Ralph VE3VXY/VE3VXZ/VE3CIW

Status
Not open for further replies.