Kenwood TH-G71A Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattkuhar

hi everyone, i recently got a kenwood TH-G71A radio, and have been programming it via the radio controls and its kind of a pain. so i bought a USB programming cable for a Baofeng UV-5R because it had the same 2 pin connector, but i cant seem to get it to work. the ebay seller assured me it would work with my radio, have i wasted my money? or is there simply a trick i havent done? ive tried switching com ports, speed settings, Etc. and still get no connection to my radio. i fear i wasted my money on the cable, but i couldnt seem to find a serial cable for this radio. any ideas?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
What software are you using?

If you are using Windows, have you checked Windows Device Manager to see what COM port the USB cable is trying to use?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
COM1 is often reserved in Windows even though there's no communications device assigned to it. In Windows Device Manager, try setting the COM port that the cable is using to a different COM port, such as 3, 4, or 5. Then change the COM port setting in whatever program you choose to use.

One other thing...my Kenwood TH-F6 and Puxing UV-973 use the same 2-pin programming cable as you TH-G71. I find that I have to really make sure the cable is fully inserted into the radio in order for programming to work. If you can see a gap between the radio body and the plug, you may have to press a little harder to get the plug seated.

Mattkuhar

I will try changing the COM port, another thing i noticed was, upon plugging in the cable to the radio, it starts rolling through all my programmed channels. I dont think this is normal is it?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
That discontinued radio has a remote microphone (SMC-33) and one of the buttons will be used to change frequency or channel number up or down depending if radio is in VFO or memory mode. Sounds like your cable is performing that function unexpectedly which calls into question if it is suitable to use.

If possible do some specification comparison between the two radios at the document level. Look for the same function on the small pin vs. the large pin. Then look at each connection (TRS /TRRS) on that pin. Also the pin diameter is important. The manual might not have all the information you need.

Cables can be very iffy across radio brands when the cable is third party.

Good Luck!

PS
Missed comment about fully seated! Good point.

I will try changing the COM port, another thing i noticed was, upon plugging in the cable to the radio, it starts rolling through all my programmed channels. I dont think this is normal is it?

Mattkuhar

well, upon further troubleshooting, i cut the cable off the usb part, and rolling channel problem stopped. so i split open the usb end to examine it on the board. no noticeable shorts on the board at all, so now im wondering, i have the Kawamall serial cable for my TK-780, and the wire has the same 3 colors Red,White,Black. im thinking about trying to match colors and see how the radio reacts to that cable, do all serial cables use the same circuit in them?

k6cpo

In my opinion, the most reliable and easiest to use cables and software come from RT Systems. It costs a little bit more but I have never heard of any issues with their cables and software. In fact, if you buy cables and software for Yaesu radios from Yaesu themselves, what you get is the RT Systems stuff. The only codicil is that their software will only work with their cables.

Alain

In my opinion, the most reliable and easiest to use cables and software come from RT Systems.

Hey San Diego...

Valley Center, here. Yup, I agree completely about your assessment of the RT System stuff I have their software for the FT-60, 208-H and the DR-235. All worked flawlessly.

Regrettable, RT does NOT make software for the Kenwood TH G71A. I've already asked.

glennjacques

I just recently acquired a Kenwood TH-G71A as well and am also having troubles getting the programming to work. I have a cable that has worked with my Baofeng UV-B6 and is also supposed to work with my Kenwood. A mod was done before I got it, I don't know if that might have an effect. I have set menu item 15 (transceiver control) is set to on as indicated in the manual. I am using CHIRP for the programming. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.