Kenwood: Kenwood TH-K20 and MCP5 issue...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PriorMike

Hello,

I bought a Kenwood TH-K20 and am attempting to program it with the MCP5 software; the cable is a Kenwood KPG-22U.

The software will read the radio, but when I go to write I get an error that the transceiver is not responding and to check the COM port. I've updated the drivers for the cable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Try a slower baud rate, I'm not familiar with that model radio for North America.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Only advice I'd add would be to make 100% sure the programming cable is seating all the way in the radio. I've had some where it feels like it does, but it doesn't. However, since you can read the radio, but not write, that seems to suggest it's a good connection.

Never touched a TH-K20. Most of my experience is on the LMR side. Like Evans said, if adjusting the baud rate is an option on those, give that a try. That's usually the troubleshooting when doing firmware updates on the LMR radios.

PriorMike

A bit of an update; I tried programming another Kenwood radio with the KPG-22U and it worked so it's not the cable.

I tried adjusting the baud rate in the hardware settings in computer management to no avail.

On top of it, I emailed Kenwood directly and after trying a few of their suggestions, they are also at a dead end.

Back to the dealer to see what they want to do...

PriorMike

Well, the response from the dealer was to send a screenshot of them writing to the radio with a Windows 7 computer and an RT Systems cable, then sending the radio back to me. I tried running the software in Windows 7 compatibility mode to no avail.

I don't have the patience to drive to my cottage to dig out a windows 7 based laptop that's up there. I'm getting sick of looking at the damage from that windstorm on the May long weekend. I digress...

Anyway, at this point I'm going to divest the TH-K20 and try to find another TK-2312. I know that will work...FWIW, I still like Kenwood and most of their products.

Thanks to all in this thread for your help.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I tried running the software in Windows 7 compatibility mode to no avail.
What is the base operating system of the computer? Have you looked at Windows Device Manager to see if a virtual COM port is created with the proper drivers installed and cable connected to the computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.