• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-2000 firmware help

garretcanter

Have a friend that bought a TK-2000 VHF handheld. The radio is a VHF and when it is read, it populates VHF frequencies in the code plug. However, it says the model is a UHF. It will not take VHF frequencies back into the radio saying they are out of band. It will not take UHF frequencies either. SO.......... the radio is confused on its gender LOL. Guessing it needs a firmware update. I need the firmware file if such a thing can be found.

Thanks,

Steve

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I am still trying to scratch my head on this.

VHF Radio
UHF Model

2 things
1; this sounds like someone wrote UHF codeplug to the radio by mistake
2; re-cased radio with VHF parts, but UHF guts

Looking through the Firmware folder for analog radios, I am not seeing the TK-2000 listed.
Can you post a photo of the radio label please?

*NOTE: This could be a BRS radio, whereas us LMR dealers who are not BRS dealers, wont have access to that.

garretcanter

Can't get a picture to upload. It seems to be a no-go on the radio. I think it is a foreign edition radio only.
Thanks,

Steve

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
I had never heard of a TK-2000 until I saw saw this thread.
It is a LMR radio and it does have a FCC number, analog only
oh...but even though the above is accurate..I see the page I was on is SINGAPORE.....
weird.

garretcanter

Glad it has an FCC number because it is not on the sticker. It is extremely light weight and the battery lasts forever. Interesting radio for $50 from a slow boat from China.

garretcanter

That looks like the right software. It reads the radio as a VHF, complete with stock VHF frequencies, but then it magically thinks it's a UHF model. It will not write back with anything.

garretcanter

They appear to, but I have to specifically checked them. The frequencies are all over the place within VHF range. They will not write back into the radio even though they just came out of it. Neither will any UHF.even though the model say UHF after being read. It's just screwed up.

VE2WEM

1 year later, did you find something?
I have the same problem, my TK-2000 VHF reads as a TK-U100 UHF
but has VHF freq in it, cant edit it with kpg-137d
copying ch1 to ch2 works and I can write it to radio
but editing the freq to an other VHF freq is prohibited by software
I need a programmer able to remove that feature preventing to put a fr out of range
or re-write the firmware codeplug with tk-2000 instead of TK-U100

Last edited:

VE2WEM

I found a way to edit the .dat file with a HEX editor, let me know if someone here wants to know how to do it.

garretcanter

I quit messing with the radios. The VHF never did work. There are two different versions of the radio. The VHF has trouble changing channels with the knob. The UHF version works well though.

Steve

VE2WEM

The uhf works? Im afraid to program it to my radio and brick it somehow... Mine is VHF version on the box and on the radio label
The VHF works well for me, got it program on few repeaters here and im happy with it so far....hitting 25km away repeater
I identified the part where freq are program in the .dat file, so im able to program VHF freq.
Im going to try to make a webpage to generate .dat files for this radio with VHF frequencies

Last edited:

jasej

Hi My Friends

It would help a lot if you could tell us what version of the KPG137D you use! It will be good to tell us, this is so we can find out what is wrong with your radios, based on the experience of others. ,,

There is a KPG137 (C), version 2.30, which I am sure is the software you need,!
Today, at noon, I helped a friend through Anydesk, with three radios like the ones you have, my friends, and everything was resolved without problems

Best regards friends

VE2WEM

Hi, im using version 2.20, not sure about the market letter, where I can fin it.
i've seen the version 2.30 available for sale on ebay, but when I was looking for a solution
Someone on a forum was having the same problem as me, with version 2.30.

Anyway now I have a decrypt table to program.dat files, and I can program my radio just fine
Thanks for the help

'73

jasej

Hi, im using version 2.20, not sure about the market letter, where I can fin it.
i've seen the version 2.30 available for sale on ebay, but when I was looking for a solution
Someone on a forum was having the same problem as me, with version 2.30.

Anyway now I have a decrypt table to program.dat files, and I can program my radio just fine
Thanks for the help

'73
Hi my friend !

I have version C in my hands and will be able to share it!
But I don't know if it is allowed to put a link on this site to send it !

Any ideas on how to do it?

Regards