• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-2160/TK-3160

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogbobo

my 3160 continues to be my favorite hand held ...

easy to program, even easier to use ... and it's tough enough to take my abuse lol

so if you are calling ME a dummy ......... then yes :D

yes, in the programming software you can enable and disable, cloning, field programming and other settings. It will be in the options menu. Just a little box you check.

pogbobo

that's a neat trick ... field programming a portable radio that has absolutely no buttons (other than the PTT and 3 side function buttons) or even a display :twisted:

maybe you are confusing the 3160 with the 3180 ?

:confused:

Now I was kinda wondering how that was done myself......I have used Kenwoods before they had the buttons on the top A and B, kinda a pain in the butt to Field Program the BK is way easier. But for the price difference I am willing to learn. But any radio that I have has to be field programmable or it might as well be a brick. I can't lug a laptop up a mountain side to reprogram...lol

code3cowboy

I was totally thinking x170 portables here.

The x170, x180, x90, and 5x10 portables can be face programmed. The x180 series requires a trip to the dealer for an "upgrade".

kf7eup

Premium Subscriber
TK- 3160 Question

Hello I have reciently aquired the software and programming cable for the tk-3160 but i can't seem to figure out how to program it . can any one help?

kf7eup, it is simple once you get the hang of it. What are you having problems with? feel free to email me with questions. my user name @yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.