Kenwood TK 2170

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillB

I have a 2170 that I use for my FD. I have a second bank programmed with surround counties FDs. Some counties that I have programmed in I can pick up clearly no matter where I am at. Others I have never heard or very seldom hear unless I'm in the garage working for example. In my house I can't pick them up. Is there something I can do to be able to pick these other depts? It's odd that I can pick up some depts that are 30 miles away yet I can't pick up some that are 15 to 20 miles away.

IowaBrian

Depends on many things where their antenna is located, where your house is located and on and on.
The best thing to do inside is to use a outdoor antenna but you risk maybe killing your radio and having to explain what happened. You can try a different antenna if you can get one that has more gain but then again you could run the risk of radio issues and catching crap for putting on a antenna not issued with the radio.

Best bet might be to get a small scanner and let it scan and not worry about doing something to your work radio that you count on to keep you alive :) .

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
IDK about your specific area, but county fire frequencies are largely a simplex operation.

It will be very easy for you to pick up base stations (dispatchers, station radio, pages, etc.) and very difficult for you to pick up anybody else unless you're very close to them

Status
Not open for further replies.