• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-2360 Pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomhouston

Premium Subscriber
I've acquired two 2360's and I'm trying to figure out what I'll need to do in order to use them for voice communications between the radios (No base station). I'd like to use the 5W VHF band for maximum range if possible.

- FCC license (GMRS? LMR? None?).
- Programming (Prog. in general frequencies for GMRS? or get a dedicated frequency from the FCC?).

Sorry for the general questions but I've spent hours over the past few weeks searching the FCC Web site and these forums to try and figure out a way forward but I'm really lost with all of this.

Thanks for your time with this!

GMRS is for UHF, which you wouldn't be able to use.

MURS is restricted to 2 watts and is mobile-to-mobile, so don't expect a far range.

How far apart are you looking to use these radios? A repeater would be best for maximum distance.

tomhouston

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm looking to use the full distance capabilities of the units if possible and it seems like I'll need a LMR license to do so. I just wish it wasn't going to run me $260 to get them up and running...

alphacommnj

FCC License and Frequencies

tomhouston,
The license that you are referring to depends on what you will be using the radios for. A license that costs $260 is usually for a business IG license from the FCC and is restricted to commercial operations. The FCC has standards and categories for licensees to apply for depending not on your radio, but what type of communications you will be conducting.

Your Kenwood TK-2360 radios are VHF capable of 136-174mhz. The two most common options for your radio are:
BUSINESS: Conventional VHF operations, IG License from the FCC either fixed or itinerant (no particular location) operations. You will have to file through a frequency coordinator for fixed operations and the $260 license fee is paid to the FCC. This is for commercial use/business comms and will need to be documented in the license. Power limit is "unlimited" per say, somewhere around 50-100 watts. The freq. coordinator or yourself may choose a desired frequency that is clear in your area.
PERSONAL: MURS Conventional VHF operations. No license required but operator is limited to the use of the 5 MURS frequencies (151.820 MHz, 151.880 MHz, 151.940 MHz, 154.570 MHz, 154.600 MHz). Also power output must be limited to 2 watts. Any kind of personal or business comms can be conducted on MURS, granted they follow general FCC rules (no profanity, broadcasting music, etc.) Anyone conducting personal communications on the radio is NOT eligible to file for a private frequency.

If you had the Kenwood TK-3360 or other UHF radios your options would be similar. Business use could file for a license for private frequencies or personal comms would be conducted by programming the radio to GMRS/FRS frequencies.

In any case, those are a great set of radios that will hold up well over time. Good pick! :)
What will you be using the radios for?

tomhouston

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info/feedback! I'm planning on using the radios for personal/business communications and really wanted to leverage the additional power output available to the VHF frequencies. I guess I'll need to pony up the $260 and get it done and prepare to repeat the process every 5 years. I just wish there was a price break with the FCC for mainly personal VHF comms. $260? What's the reasoning behind that? Maybe it's time to put up an antenna and run at 100 Watts.

alphacommnj

It's just the cost of doing business with the FCC. A business license however lasts for 10yrs, so in essence it is only $26/yr which is not bad at all. That's $26 for unlimited access to a semi-private frequency(ies). I can't even fill half a tank of gas each week for $26 :mad:

There is no price break for licenses used for mostly personal comms because if you have a business license, it should be used for 100% business. If not, then technically you should not be filing for an FCC business license. Instead, you should look into Amateur radio for all personal communications. There is practically no power limit, you have access to a large # of frequencies, and you will learn a whole lot about radio communication while getting your license. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.