Kenwood TK-260 program problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I recently got an old Win 98 computer to program my TK-260. I have the cable and plugged it in, hooked up the radio and turned it on. went to the program and went to "Read from radio". sometimes it works others it doesnt. I just cant get the thing to recieve long enough to get all the data. the red light at the top comes on when it reads the data blocks from the radio. it will stay on long enough for me to get 48% read but then it stops. other times nothing at all. I tried twisting the cable and only get it sometimes.
if anyone who has an inkling please tell me

Zack08

You MUST be in DOS. I have a TK930 that does the exact same thing in Windows.

Last edited:

pogbobo

the software that programs the TK-260G (which is KPG56 ver.4) is windows based :)

Zack08

Oops :) Well then, is the battery fully charged? Is it a Kenwood cable you're using? Is there a possibility that the connector in the radio is intermittent?

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I'll try to reboot in DOS. The battery is fully charged, i lieft in on overnight and all yesterday.
I am using a cable off of ebay, but i've heard that I need a real kenwood cable. it will make connections just not stay long enough to get all the data blocks transfered.
thanks for all help so far

Zack08

If the software is windows based like pogbobo said, then booting in DOS probably won't help. I didn't know the software was that new...

My guess is that either there is a broken connection in the radio/cable, or the level converter in the cable does not meet RS232 standards.

Good luck!

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
If the software is windows based like pogbobo said, then booting in DOS probably won't help. I didn't know the software was that new...

My guess is that either there is a broken connection in the radio/cable, or the level converter in the cable does not meet RS232 standards.

Good luck!

no its definetly not the windows based, i did load it in DOS though and tried it, I think its the connector or something
Anyone know where I can get a REAL kenwood cable?

mjthomas59

I have had the same trouble programming my TK260 however I can normally get it to work if i try several times in a row. I also move the channel selector to a channel I think won't have any transmissions on it. I really have no idea if the radio receiving anything causes the programming issues or not, but once i moved to a non-active channel I was normally able to get it to go.

Good luck. The software I have opens in DOS mode from inside windows and i'm using a non-oem serial cable from fleabay.

pogbobo

I know that the version I use (ver4) is windows based (i.e an actual windows program, no dos at all, period) ... but the problem you are describing is the same thing that happened to me with my 3160 and the ebay cable ... it would start writing/reading blocks but it would crap out half way through ... when I got the original oem kenwood cable it solved all of my problems .... I don't see any on ebay (which is where I got mine)

what you need is the original KPG-22 cable ... all of the ones on ebay that combine the kpg22 and kpg4 type cables are after market and hardly work ... i know this because I got yelled at by kenwood when I told them what cable I was using when I called for help :)

I can't find any original cables online, ebay or otherwise ... would a picture of my cable help?

you could also try getting a newer version of the KPG56 software ... sorry dude

edit: like the guy above me hinted at ... make sure you do not touch the volume or channel knobs during programming, it makes it crap out as well ... I just lay the radio down and not touch it at all during the reading or writing :)

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I know that the version I use (ver4) is windows based (i.e an actual windows program, no dos at all, period) ... but the problem you are describing is the same thing that happened to me with my 3160 and the ebay cable ... it would start writing/reading blocks but it would crap out half way through ... when I got the original oem kenwood cable it solved all of my problems .... I don't see any on ebay (which is where I got mine)

what you need is the original KPG-22 cable ... all of the ones on ebay that combine the kpg22 and kpg4 type cables are after market and hardly work ... i know this because I got yelled at by kenwood when I told them what cable I was using when I called for help :)

I can't find any original cables online, ebay or otherwise ... would a picture of my cable help?

you could also try getting a newer version of the KPG56 software ... sorry dude

edit: like the guy above me hinted at ... make sure you do not touch the volume or channel knobs during programming, it makes it crap out as well ... I just lay the radio down and not touch it at all during the reading or writing :)

I'd love to see a pic so I can find one.
I thought that there might be some kinda trick with the knobs. I'll have to try that
thanks so much,

pogbobo

here is a pic of the cable that I use for my 3160 and 260g ... I was told it was an oem kenwood cable, and sure enough it works 100% of the time on both radios ...

KPG22-640x480.jpg

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Yhe I found one on a site
Its $122
screw that i'll just sell the other cable with the radio see if they can get it to work

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Don't forget to slow down your com port about 2400 baud will work best. I've got my tk-270 programmed using Vista...

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.