• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KENWOOD TK-3170 to work with a Saber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xm_jdm

First thing is I would verify the programming is correct (PL tone too). And all radios set for either wide or narrow and not a mix. Also I would check the PL deviation and TX power. Also for physical damage (broken antennas or bent contacts).
Granted, I know you are just an end user, but a shop should start with the above.

One thing you can try, do the radios have a monitor button that opens the squelch? If so, press that while the other user is talking and see if you hear them then.

My boss put in for another service call for some time next week. Someone is going to come out and take some real time during our slow period to see what is going on. If they manage to find a fix then fantastic, it will have saved the company money and I will only be out 100 bucks (And with a better radio IMO).

Can someone explain to me how a cloning process works? Is the Kenwood attached to the Motorola somehow and then that is how programming is transfered over? Or is it just more or less jotting down what the programed channels are on the Kenwood and then plugging them into the Motorola via its own software?

This is all so fascinating. I never thought there was so much involved when it came to 2 way radios. What a neat hobby.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
You can only clone between like models of like manufacturers with like features so they'll figure out what's in the Kenwood, write it down or print it off then fire up the HT1000 RSS and program accordingly.

To actually clone radio to radio, a cable is attached between the two units and a certain key press sequence is initiated.

xm_jdm

Oh I see. I would love to learn a little bit more about this stuff. Is there a good place to start? Like a radios for dummies kind of source?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
It is highly fascinating! I'm not aware of any one place to go to learn the basics about land mobile radio (LMR) in the broadest terms while being so specific (if that makes sense!) but here (RR that is) as well as Batwing Laboratories or the Batboard at Batboard • Index page (both great for Motorola) are good places to start.

xm_jdm

Thanks! I have been reading through these forums for the past few hours and I am learning a lot of interesting stuff.

RKG

Back to your question about why transmissions from one Motorola radio successfully unmute other Motorola radios but not the Kenwood radios you are using.

Any sight unseen diagnosis is speculation, so here is my speculation. Presuming you are talking about a simplex channel, I'll bet you are using a DPL and the Kenwoods are out of phase with the Motorolas. Try changing the Rx DPL polarity in the Kenwoods from "N" to "I" and see what happens.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
The TK-3170 is a UHF radio (most commonly sold split is 450-520MHz, however they are available in 400-470MHz).

So, if you're looking for an HT1000, assuming the split you want is 450-520MHz, you'd be looking for one with a model number of H01SDC9AA3DN. (or H01RDC9AA3DN if you need 403-470MHz)

Make *sure* any HT1000 you buy has the 'DN' suffix at the end of the model number. This denotes a narrow-band capable radio, as earlier revision HT1000s do not support narrow-band (aka AN, BN, and CN models).

I too am wondering why you're having problems with the 3170. I have hundreds in service with little complaints. The most common issue I see on ones that come across my bench for repair are broken antennas, especially if you're using the tapered stubby antenna. They have a tendency to break off at the internal base from too much bending/pressure. If you can get a new antenna, see if it helps.

This is untrue, all HT1000's are capable of 12.5 channel spacing and narrow band deviation, The DN models will also allow the 6.25 channel spacing. AN,BN and CN, do not support the 6.25 channels but they are how ever Narrow Band Complaint radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.