• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-5220/5320 Pop 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

esfd283

Hello All, Looking for some guidance from the Kenwood experts on board here. Our county has a Motorola P25 digital trunked system. They want to begin to allow radios other than Motorola's on to it, can anyone tell me how the Motorola system information is entered into the radio. I know the Motorola radios have to have a system key associated with it for programming. Is that the case with the Kenwood's? Any help is greatly appreciated.

pddispatcher

If its not encrypted or anything and its regular P-25 all you should need is just the RX/TX and NAC

RKG

"System key" refers to trunking. Kenwood does not make a radio that will work with a Motorola Astro 25 9600 baud trunked system.

If you're talking conventional, you do as pddispatcher said.

esfd283

Interesting as the sales people in this area are trying to sell that. Wasn't Project 25 supposed to fix all of this???

monitor142

P25 is a suite of standards mostly surrounding the Common Air Interface (CAI). P25 is both conventional and also trunked. I believe that some of Kenwood's P25 equipment is only conventional at this time.

As a prime example, you have Los Angeles PD as a P25 conventional system and the State of Michigan or Illinois Starcom21 as P25 trunked systems.

-M142

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
esfd283, seeing how you are in Onondaga County, NY, the Kenwood UHF P25 radios won't work cause they use trunked UHF system. EF Johnson will work though and am not sure but I think they are the only other radio that will work with Motorola Trunk system cause in parts EF Johnson is Motorola due to government contracts.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

You may want to check the kenwood stuff again it may not work on an ASTRO 25 trunk system but I think (don't have my computer in front of me right now) kenwood P25 will do 9600baud P25 trunking. You may want to check the specs on the kenwood gear.

amradioguy2

Kenwood Radios on P25 Trunked Systems

Kenwood does make radios that will work on P-25 CAI Trunked systems.
The model TK-5910 Mobile and the TK-5410 Portable have been tested and approved on the Minnesota ARMER System.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Looked at kenwoods website and for these particular radios 9600 P25 is a 'future' option, my bad, I was thinking of the model posted by the above person

kenjicam

Yes Kenwood P25 trunk radios will work on a P25 trunk radio system. However, you will need all the stuff that a Motorola radio would need to work on the system programmed into it. A system key (from Kenwood), frequency information ,talk group information, encryption keys( a KVL with proper adapter cable for Kenwood radios ) if used on your talk groups,and someone to program all that stuff for you.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
One thing that some motorola 9600 trunk systems use is ADP software encryption. Its a cheap way to encrypt a talkgroup. Downside is you need to have motorola radios to support it as the other brands cant support it.

Astro25

Kenwood's current line-up of P25 products WILL trunk... the only drawback is the lower-tier P25 products (ie TK-5220) will only support one TRS per radio, where the high-teir P25 products (ie TK-5210G) will support multiple systems. We already have set a number of 5210G units on the WISCOM state-wide system.

kenjicam

We've been field testing the TK5310 portable (also the 5320, 5810, and 5820) on the new local UHF P25 system for the past few weeks, and they have all been preforming very well. The biggest problem has been trying to convince the different agencies that Motorola isn't the only choice for subscriber units.

Status
Not open for further replies.