• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK 5710 and 2022 Toyota Camry

sgtmatt

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

I'm getting a 2022 Camry in the next few weeks and was wondering if there is anyone out there that has a set up in either a 21 or 22 model. Mine is going to be an SE. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on running a lead to the battery so I can install my kenwood and somehow make it look neat with out all kinds of spaghettie laying around and with minimal drilling.

Thanks 73
KC9MLE

slowmover

Hi All,

I'm getting a 2022 Camry in the next few weeks and was wondering if there is anyone out there that has a set up in either a 21 or 22 model. Mine is going to be an SE. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on running a lead to the battery so I can install my kenwood and somehow make it look neat with out all kinds of spaghettie laying around and with minimal drilling.

Thanks 73
KC9MLE

Radio pic, Dimensions, Approximate Weight, Amp Draw, etc, all play into possibilities.

I favor using BUSSMANN MBRP power fuses to avoid splices, but I’ll guess it may be overkill for a radio I’d have to research.

ANCOR USCG-Approved Wiring on the other hand is a no-brainer, IMO. One shields with quality split-loom from battery and follows (attaches) to existing wiring harnesses up to firewall penetration (which needs grommet or cable gland as protection).

To find access, I searched vehicle-specific forums re my sons SUV and found stereo installs where the same question was asked. Now I knew where to look.

Etc

In short, offer up some basics.

What radio service is it?

sgtmatt

Premium Subscriber
Mine is VHF for ham use. Never rely did get it in. I actualy just replaced the 5710 with an XTL 2500 I'd like to get in at some point too.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I was never fond of the 5710...spend way too much time ripping them out of customer vehicles to install APX4500 and APX1500's.

I traded my 5710's for some XTL1500's...now I'm trading some of those for VM600's.

From what I remember, not quite as deep as an XTL/APX housing, has a UHF connector on it and about 1/2" thicker than an XTL.

No of course, if we are talking about an 5710H things are much different.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi All,

Thanks 73
KC9MLE

Which model 5710 is it? The H model (high power) will be pretty big.

Either way, doing a remote mount is a good option. That way you only need to mount the control head up front.

No idea about the Camry. You may need to mount the RF deck in the trunk. Depending on where the battery is, you'll need a good power feed.

Avoiding drilling holes and doing a good installation with well hidden wiring is getting into the "mutually exclusive" range. The remote head cables are not thick, but the connector takes some careful routing. The head is not small, so it is not going to be happy with velcro or double sided tape holding it in place.
If it is the H model, you don't want to mess around with a 100 watt radio and a poor antenna installation. You want the antenna well away from occupants and in the clear. NMO on the center of the roof is your best shot.

sfd745

Reverend Higgy
Database Admin
For the Camrys, the easiest way to mount a radio is remote mount. I use a RAM ball mount off the side of the console with a short arm and mount the head bracket to the upper ball. I run the remote cables down the passenger side door channel to the truck and mount the radio to the back of the rear seat using a piece of 1/2 plywood. I have done this for 790's, 5710's, XTLs and XPRs with great success.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I'm actually about to install a 5710 in an older CR-V, the thing is a tank (at least the HK version, which I have). If you don't need P25, it's a waste of space & weight. I'm using it for Ham and to monitor VHF P25 conventional stuff, I prefer it over the XTL due to higher scan list capacity. I would love to have a NX-5700, but I recently got 3 remote-mount 5710's for about the same price as 1 NX-5700 with P25c.

If you have the HK version I would suggest running all the channels at low power for ordinary use, which ironically is 50 watts.

For my installs, I run 6 gauge flexible welding/battery wire from the battery through the firewall to a secondary fuse box with a Havis ChargeGuard. Sometimes you can find an existing unused hole with a grommet but if not, you may have to drill something new like McKenna said.

Remember you only need to run 1 battery wire, for the positive side. Ground should come from inside the vehicle closest to your secondary fuse box/radios, preferably from a solid bolt connected to the chassis of the vehicle. Make sure to test it for good continuity.

mrweather

Isn't the 5710 essentially the same footprint and accessories as the Tk-x90 series?

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Isn't the 5710 essentially the same footprint and accessories as the Tk-x90 series?
I believe it is. The "front" part of the control head seems to be the main difference (KCH-14 or 15), but the KRK-5 assembly and remote cable is the same for both. It's a pretty cool design. I really like the KCH-15 layout, with so many programmable buttons, including 5 direct channel assignments.

While driving I don't like to mess with menus, it's nice to be able to hit a single button.

Last edited: