• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-7180 max power

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpcaptain

Feed Provider
With the 7180 or 8180 I know is the lower power version and the H is the higher power version. Is there really a difference or is it a sales gimmick? I know in the software the power can be adjusted so I know it is at least capable of the higher power.

Some other examples of what I am talking about would be a tk-2180 with out the DTMF keypad. If you open the radio the board is there you just need the rubber face and the cut out outer case for the buttons and like /\/\ minitors 3, 4 and 5 you buy a 2 channel pager and you can change it to 2 channel in the software with the Engineer logon or make it store voice in the Engineer Software and with the correct knob. You know extra ways to make that little extra money

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looking at the schematics for both the TK-7180 and the TK-7180H shows some component differences, including the RF amp(IC-1) and some of the components heading out to the antenna connector.

The RF Amp for the 7180H is shown as P/N RA60H1317M1-23
The RF Amp for the 7180 is shown as P/N RA30H1317M-23

The downstream (towards the antenna) capacitors are different values and there are some differences in the RF sensing circuits.

Transmitter alignment procedures clearly show 33 watts (+ or - 3 watts) for the non-H and 53 watts (+ or - 3 watts) for the H.

This specific warning is including in the directions for both:
CAUTION!
Do not attempt to adjust the transceiver’s transmit
output power beyond its specifications.
If the transceiver is adjusted beyond the
specifications, it may cause deterioration of the
parts reliability and the output power may be
lowered suddenly and unstable.
The transceiver may be also extremely hot.

Replacing components would obviously void the radios type certification, as I'm sure you know.

And to further add to the great response above. I don't know about all models, but I tried to do what you describe about a non dtmf pad TK-5210 and it would not work. Not sure if it is hard coded in the radio or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

fpcaptain

Feed Provider
OK Thank you for your responses. As for the TK-5210 that could be. I have the TK-2180 and the board was in there for that when I added the keypad. I have a 3180 also but havent opened that but would guess the board is there. I have 2 of the 7180 mobiles and a 8180 also which they are the lower power version. I got them used a few years ago at good prices so couldnt go wrong.

loosenut

I did repeated and prolonged transmissions from my k model and it got hot and cut out, not sure doubling the power would be good as a fan would have to be installed. Or I could talk less...

Status
Not open for further replies.