• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-790 and RoxiLink gateway with Zello Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Hi all,

We just acquired a RoxiLink gateway device for RoIP via a Zello work gateway and plan to utilize some spare TK-790s with the gateways. I got everything installed and hooked up, but the radio will not trip when I key up on Zello. The gateway box clicks like it’s receiving a signal, but nothing from the radio.

So far, I did remove R641 and place a jumper on R640 for mic in/out rather than data, I programmed the rear function port for Ext PTT and COR (as the instructions stated, there are also many spots to select these in that particular menu, but I tried them all,) and I haven’t been able to get any audio to pass. Is anyone familiar with a setup similar, or any tricks for the 790s? I tried a radio that I hadn’t removed the jumper from just to see if the radio was bad, but that didn’t work either.

I should also add, the DB25 cable that attached the gateway to the radio was one that was supplied from RoxiTek, not a homemade cable.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Are you having problems with PTT or not having any audio on transmit? It's not clear as you mention both.

First you have to confirm the RoxiLink keys the radio. You should see the red transmit led light. If not you need to assign Ext PTT to the correct input. If the instructions do not have the input number the cable is wired to (shame on them) then you'll have to go back and try them all again until the radio keys up.

You do have the correct jumpers for the mic line, 640 in and 641 out. Also make sure Ext PTT w/Mic Mute is NOT checked in Optional Features. Kenwood mic lines are very sensitive and can be over-driven easily. A 10K resistor in the mic line can dampen down the audio to where the radio won't choke on it.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Thanks for the reply -

I was able to get it working this morning after a few hours of fiddling around. I want to outline my problems below for anyone else who may run into this.

My first problem was that the RoxiLink was not keying the radio. I ended up not having "EXT PTT" selected in the right spot in the Kenwood programming software - though nothing specified where it needed to be selected in the programming software. I knew it was under the function port options, but there are 7 options to choose from. For this particular radio and RoxiLink setup, I had to choose the very last input, titled "AI5." I'll include a picture.

Once I was able to figure this out, I was able to key the radio and audio was making it from my phone (Zello app) to the connected radio (Kenwood TK-790.) However, I was unable to receive audio back to my Zello app. In the Kenwood programming software, in the same dialogue box as the function port, there is an output tab as well. You need to select "COR" in the "Radio AO1" tab. I'll include a picture.

Once I was able to hash this all out, I was able to move on to adjusting audio levels and making everything sound good. For the audio to make it back to the Zello app, you have to use the "VOX" function. I also had to select a trigger time of at least 200 milliseconds, it couldn't be "0" or it wouldn't receive. My activation threshold for VOX was also somewhat interesting to me, as I had to set it almost all the way to the left at -64 dB.

This is being set up to use for a public safety department. Zello offers their "Zello Work" suite for first responders for free, which includes access to a number of RoIP gateways. Our hope is that once we successfully test this first gateway, we can move on to setting up a few more for the times we respond to a rural area without good portable radio coverage. Our service covers a fairly rural area with great LTE coverage, but the VHF repeater we use to communicate with dispatch has been a struggle for many, many years. I understand there are many different options we could pursue, but I don't make those decisions and our department doesn't own the repeater either. This appears to be a low-cost, reliable solution for the few times that it will be used (calling for a helicopter while inside of a residence in the country, etc.)

If anyone has questions about this, please shoot me a message. I in no way work for Kenwood or RoxiTek, or have any affiliations with these companies. We just happened to be using these two pieces of equipment and so far, they seem to be working well, now that everything is figure out.

Dan

Attachments

• 2E06F8A3-B6A8-4749-8252-74D8442885CA.jpg
    2E06F8A3-B6A8-4749-8252-74D8442885CA.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 0061D34D-7B8F-4ED6-AA4F-17926E94760E.jpg
    0061D34D-7B8F-4ED6-AA4F-17926E94760E.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 54F45658-CC8E-4AE7-BDA3-B81F992F6104.jpg
    54F45658-CC8E-4AE7-BDA3-B81F992F6104.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 48

jcefd10

I don’t monitor the forums like I should, so I’m slow to see stuff. Glad you figured it out. I have successfully set up 3 agencies on the
Roxi gateway. Am in the process of cross linking the channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.