• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-790 microphone connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrightracing

Does anyone know where online to get the round 12 pin microphone connector
For the Kenwood TK-790?

Or does anyone know what the connectors part number is?

d55efa3cd2f7ba9fff7a4586547e2988.jpg

David...

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The socket on the radio end is Kenwood P/N E56-0410-15

The plug on the microphone isn't available on it's own from Kenwood, but you can buy the replacement cord for the KMC-27/KMC-28 microphone, has an RJ45 plug on the end to plug into the bottom of the mic and the 12 pin on the other to plug into the radio. Kenwood P/N is E30-7647-05 List price is about $49.
Might be better to just purchase an old microphone off e-Bay and "roll your own".

The connector itself is listed in the service manual as "Universal 12 pin connector".

Only source for these I've been able to locate is direct from Kenwood.

Pinout is:
1 SB O Power output after power switch (MIC (13.6V or 13.4V±15%)
2 HK I Hook signal input. “L” : On hook, “H” : Off hook
3 ME – MIC eearth.
4 MIC I MIC signal input.
5 E – Earth.
6 TRD I/O TX data output/RX data input.
7 NC – Not used.
8 DM I/O Serial data input/output for keypad MIC.
9 BLC O MIC backlight control signal output. “H” : On, “L” : Off
10 PTT I PTT signal input.“L” : TX, “OPEN” : RX
11 NC – Not used.
12 NC – Not used

wrightracing

I wonder were the guys that make the program cable get those connectors?
I did ask one place that made the cables, but they would not tell me.

Thanks for the info.

David...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I wonder were the guys that make the program cable get those connectors?
I did ask one place that made the cables, but they would not tell me.

Thanks for the info.

David...

Good question, and I doubt Kenwood makes it themselves.
Haven't seen them on the market anywhere, and they seem to be specific to Kenwood radios.

However, given enough money and a contact in China, nearly anything can be done.

opelgtalex

The microphone connector is available as a kit from Kenwood parts (East Coast Transistor or Pac Parts).
Part Number is: W01-0440-15
The kit does not come with the pins, and they are difficult to install due to their small size.
From memory I believe the connectors are made by Hirose.
you would be better off buying a used mic cable off of eBay if you need to make up a test cable, I ended up doing that to be able to inject audio for doing alignments.
-Alex

wrightracing

I was hoping for a easy place to get the connector because I found a great deal on new cables with a RJ45 on one side and the RJ12 on the other. It let's me use the cable with a kmc-27 mic on TK730 radio with a RJ12 jack. Then all I would have to do is replace the RJ45 with the round 12 pin for a TK790.

I help out a bunch of guys that volunteer at the desert races in Baja. I do repairs and programming. The microphone cables on the TK790 radio's are notorious for poor quality and almost always fall apart. I just hate paying $60+ just for a cable that should be under $15 at most. I have already done the transplant of the 12 pin connector to a new cable, I was just looking for one with the pins. I have the special crimper to do the small stuff. I just needed a source for both to make it easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

HummerMike

Just for thought. I use a TK-790 and a TK-890 on my base set up. I bring my Mic. connections in the back 25 pin accessory plug. You could use a 25 pin male din plug (~$8) and a female 8 pin RJ adapter and short cord (~$20). Put this together and use any Kenwood 8 pin RJ style Microphone with your TK-*90 series.
Look up (MOTOROLA HKN6129A) on Ebay. This can be had for $14. Pair it with the 25 Male plug to attach to the Kenwood mobile and you are set for RJ-45 style Kenwood Mics.

Mike

Attachments

• cord.jpg
    cord.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 642

wrightracing

That is a good idea Mike for a base unit. Many of the TK790H radio's we use in off road racing have the KRK 5 remote head kit mounting the base under a seat or on the roll cage in back. I have hardwired a cable out the rear of the remote with a old Roadmaster Radio Mobile 5-pin connector. It is used to connect a Racing intercom for headsets or helmets wired for communications. I did a install with that same 5-pin on a center console that worked great. So I have options, I just wanted to make an OEM connector another cheap option.

35a08c1cca00fc213050c113ceed920a.jpg

73bd13c0f8d809503eecaae606710617.jpg

wrightracing

You really only need 5 pins on the TK790 or TK730 to run a basic microphone and a audio line out on that same connector.

Pin 1- Speaker
Pin 2- Mic +
Pin 3- PTT
Pin 4- Mic -
Pin 5- shield

I have done these on over 100 radio's since 2002 on the 730 and 790 and the metal connector is the most durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.