• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-790 Tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakedoc84

Premium Subscriber
Alright kenwood community I need some help. I know I have a tuning issue with my TK-790. When I transmit others can barely hear me. I'm looking for another TK-790 user to see if they can get into test mode of their radio and see what theirs is set for on each value, that way I can reference it to mine and maybe see where the problem lies. Or if anyone out there knows exactly which setting I need to chance and to what value. Any help with this issue would be appreciated. There are no kenwood techs or dealers in my area. Thanks all.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Alright kenwood community I need some help. I know I have a tuning issue with my TK-790. When I transmit others can barely hear me. I'm looking for another TK-790 user to see if they can get into test mode of their radio and see what theirs is set for on each value, that way I can reference it to mine and maybe see where the problem lies. Or if anyone out there knows exactly which setting I need to chance and to what value. Any help with this issue would be appreciated. There are no kenwood techs or dealers in my area. Thanks all.

You'd think that would work, but it probably won't. These settings are individual to each radio and vary depending on component tolerance variations. Copying these settings out of one radio and putting it in another would likely make the problem worse. If this isn't a simple programming issue (mic gain, wide/narrow) it really needs to be done with a proper service monitor. While it will cost a bit, the end result will be MUCH better.

Snakedoc84

Premium Subscriber
Mmmckenna,
Ok we'll do you happen to know which setting that is in the tuning? I would like to be able to maybe do this myself if at all possible. I don't really want to have to send the radio off to kenwood then I would be dead in the water more so than I am now.

12dbsinad

Barely hear you as in very low TX audio, or a very scratchy/weak signal?

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Could be your deviation is low, your TX is set to narrow and everyone else is RX'ing in wide, or any number of things. More information is needed.

Are you using this for commercial/LMR/Public Safety, or Amateur? Frequency? Is it happening on all channels, or just one/certain ones? There isn't just one setting that could be causing this issue, so you would need to tell us more….

Snakedoc84

Premium Subscriber
The radio is used for public safety, First Responder / Firefighter. The radio is set on narrowband, and everyone else in our county is set for narrowband as well, so I wouldn't think that would be the issue, but then again I'm no expert. Gentleman, above all I would love to get this to a Kenwood dealer, problem is there are none in my area. I honestly don't know where the closest one is. I did a search on the Kenwood Website and it returned no results. Thanks.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Then this certainly sounds like an issue that requires a trip to a shop. Without knowing where you are, we can't help you much.

Since this is a radio that is used in a public safety roll, it isn't something I recommend doing on your own. A shop will fix the issue properly and make sure the radio is working correctly. All this requires some specific test equipment. While it'll cost you a bit, what you should get back is a perfectly functioning radio.

Post your location and maybe we can help you out.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Update to thread. Just had another tech call me - 790 with "no mic audio" The two of us banged our heads on the phone for a while. The radios were pulled from one department and passed on to another. The other tech said " well when the sheriff had them they had scramblers in them"! Ahah! that was it. If the radio has the optional scrambler board but it is not programmed for one, no mic audio. Receive audio is fine though. Easy enough to pull a cover and have a look...

Status
Not open for further replies.