• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-790H with KCH-10 remote head unit No audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtboyd

I have a TK-790H. I've installed it in the vehicle and I'm getting no audio. I have the speaker wired into the 9 pin acces connector in base unit, which also has the sense wire coming. I'm getting no sound in remote speaker or head unit. Any help would be much appreciated.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Have you set the jumpers in the radio for the control head/remote kit?
Have you programmed the radio correctly?

Give us some idea of how you installed this and what steps you took so we know where to start. You are presenting a really broad question and it would be difficult to ask all the questions necessary to narrow this down.

Kurtboyd

I had the radio checked and programmed at Air Comm in Phoenix AZ. I'm not sure if they set the jumpers correctly. I'm leaving for the Baja 400 early Wednesday morning which leaves me one working day to fix the problem, as Monday is a holiday. I do know the 9pin connector on the base unit was jumpered. I apologize, I'm not a radio guy, just a person trying to get help with a radio problem.
i have two hot leads and two grounds coming from the battery to the 12 pin on the base unit. The lead from the base unit to the head unit was already wired up when I got the radio from Ad Comm. the 9 pin on the base unit also has the ignition sense coming into it.

mrweather

I assume the radio powers on which means the ignition sense has been properly wired?

If you're wanting to use an external speaker, you need to wire it to pins 2 and 6 on the 9-pin Molex connector on the back of the 790H radio unit (base). If you're wanting to use the internal speaker of the KCH-10 control head, you need to jumper pins 3 and 6 on the 9-pin Molex.

Kurtboyd

1A080FF3-6ECD-4D68-9FA4-E19CA27DFDBF.jpeg
Is this correct? My ignition sense wire is not shown but just want to confirm jumper wire location for base unit connection. What location is used for the kes5 speaker?

Ljay

I have a TK-790H. I've installed it in the vehicle and I'm getting no audio. I have the speaker wired into the 9 pin acces connector in base unit, which also has the sense wire coming. I'm getting no sound in remote speaker or head unit. Any help would be much appreciated.

I do not think it actually does external spkr there should be internal spkrs in the head. To do external spkr. I Believe you need a kch 20 head unless you modify the inside of kch 10

Kurtboyd

I do not think it actually does external spkr there should be internal spkrs in the head. To do external spkr. I Believe you need a kch 20 head unless you modify the inside of kch 10
My understanding is that you can run a speaker off the base unit. But as I've already said, I know little to nothing about this radio.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
In the picture, that is incorrect for the speaker jumper on the 9 pin. You are shorting the speaker leads together and can damage the audio PA if you try to use it that way.

As stated above the correct pins for an external speaker at that connector are 2 and 6 which is where your jumper is. Remove that jumper and install the KES-5 in its place. You may want to confirm the correct pin hole numbers by looking at the back of the connector with a bright light and a magnifying glass.

There are no internal jumpers for speaker to worry about. A speaker there should give you receive audio and button beeps.

Kurtboyd

In the picture, that is incorrect for the speaker jumper on the 9 pin. You are shorting the speaker leads together and can damage the audio PA if you try to use it that way.

As stated above the correct pins for an external speaker at that connector are 2 and 6 which is where your jumper is. Remove that jumper and install the KES-5 in its place. You may want to confirm the correct pin hole numbers by looking at the back of the connector with a bright light and a magnifying glass.

There are no internal jumpers for speaker to worry about. A speaker there should give you receive audio and button beeps.
i confirmed pinouts on the connector. Can you tell me which one is hot and which one is ground of 2 and 6? Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
i confirmed pinouts on the connector. Can you tell me which one is hot and which one is ground of 2 and 6? Thanks
They are both hot. It's what's known as a "BTL" amplifier and you don't want to ground either one, it'll damage the amplifier. Just hook up the two speaker leads to those pins.
If you are using one of the Kenwood speakers:
Pin 2 - Black speaker lead
Pin 6 - Black/White speaker lead

mrweather

Hopefully the OP didn't plug in that pictured Molex plug as wired or else the audio amplifier may already be damaged.

Kurtboyd

They are both hot. It's what's known as a "BTL" amplifier and you don't want to ground either one, it'll damage the amplifier. Just hook up the two speaker leads to those pins.
If you are using one of the Kenwood speakers:
Pin 2 - Black speaker lead
Pin 6 - Black/White speaker lead
thanks. hooking up now

Kurtboyd

thanks. hooking up now
I have sound. It beeps when I boot the radio up but has constant static. I had my wife do a radio check and she can hear me clear but i still cant hear her. Is this just a squelch adjustment?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have sound. It beeps when I boot the radio up but has constant static. I had my wife do a radio check and she can hear me clear but i still cant hear her. Is this just a squelch adjustment?

The constant static is a squelch adjustment.
Not being able to hear your wife sounds like a programming issue on either the Kenwood mobile or the radio your wife is using.

Kurtboyd

The constant static is a squelch adjustment.
Not being able to hear your wife sounds like a programming issue on either the Kenwood mobile or the radio your wife is using.
I've turned the squelch all the way up and all down and the static stays the same even if the handheld she was using is turned off.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've turned the squelch all the way up and all down and the static stays the same even if the handheld she was using is turned off.

Sounds like either a programming issue or some local noise.

Make sure the antenna is permanently mounted. The antenna base needs to have a good connection to the ground plane underneath it.
Make sure the coaxial cable is routed away from other vehicle wiring, electronics, LED lights, etc.
Make sure the radio is getting it's power directly off the battery. Do not tap into any existing vehicle wiring for anything. Positive radio power lead should go to the battery positive terminal. Negative radio power lead should go to vehicle body as close to the radio as you can get it. Make sure the power leads are routed away from other vehicle wiring, noise sources, electronics, ignition system, LED lights.

Since it sounds like you are short on time and you'll be relying on the radio for safety, it may be a really good investment to take the whole vehicle back to the shop that programmed the radio for you and have them fix the issues. This can be a complex process and may include making programming changes to the radio. It could take a lot of time to troubleshoot all this on your own without the right tools. A good shop could probably fix it in an hour or two.

Kurtboyd

Sounds like either a programming issue or some local noise.

Make sure the antenna is permanently mounted. The antenna base needs to have a good connection to the ground plane underneath it.
Make sure the coaxial cable is routed away from other vehicle wiring, electronics, LED lights, etc.
Make sure the radio is getting it's power directly off the battery. Do not tap into any existing vehicle wiring for anything. Positive radio power lead should go to the battery positive terminal. Negative radio power lead should go to vehicle body as close to the radio as you can get it. Make sure the power leads are routed away from other vehicle wiring, noise sources, electronics, ignition system, LED lights.

Since it sounds like you are short on time and you'll be relying on the radio for safety, it may be a really good investment to take the whole vehicle back to the shop that programmed the radio for you and have them fix the issues. This can be a complex process and may include making programming changes to the radio. It could take a lot of time to troubleshoot all this on your own without the right tools. A good shop could probably fix it in an hour or two.
Yes, agreed. If I can't sort the problem out I will be doing just that tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes, agreed. If I can't sort the problem out I will be doing just that tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

Yeah, it can be pretty complex, and very hard to solve remotely like this. Having the right test equipment, programming software, etc. is all important. It's money well spent to go back to the shop and have them troubleshoot everything as it's installed. Might be a really easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.