• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-8180 K programming software version

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywoulf

So I just found the actual model number of the TK-8180 that I bought recently which is the "K" version and now I am seeing different versions of the programming software and I want to be sure that I buy the right one. I have found the KPG-89D software on ebay but the listing shows the H version. Is the KPG-89D going to work with the K version? Thanks.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
If you mean 8180HK, that means it's a 45 watt, there are two power versions, 25 and 45/50w vhf.

still kpg89DK or 89NDK (narrow band only)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
K = The USA/Canada version of the radio.
H = High power model

KPG-89 is the correct software for that radio (as well as the TK-2180 VHF portable, TK-7180 VHF mobile, TK-3180 UHF portable)

Here's where you need to be careful...
-Buying the software off e-Bay is probably going to get you a bootleg copy of the software.
-Make sure you are getting the activation key with the software.
-The software version will need to be the same or newer than the firmware your radio is running. Newer software is backwards compatible with older radio firmware, but newer firmware won't always play nice with older software.

To check the firmware version on your radio, hold the red triangle key and power up the radio. It should show the firmware version on the screen.

graywoulf

Thanks mmckenna for the information and advice. My Kenwood is just the K version and not the HK version. It is good to know that the KPG-89 is definitely the right software. As for the ebay software, I realize that it is a gamble buying the software there but the seller does state in the description that all activation information is included and does offer a 30 day return on it. I will research it further. I did find out that the programming cable I bought for my 281A will work for the 8180 which is a good thing.

I really appreciate the information concerning the firmware and how to check it. That is valuable information.

Yet, I am still not certain as to what I can get out of this radio in my area. I have it set up as a base unit which is how it came to me when I bought it. And another thing is the frequencies that I may or may not can use on any ham bands. I have seen some information as to using it on the 70cm band but if I am using it for that purpose, do I still need a separate GMRS license to operate this radio?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yet, I am still not certain as to what I can get out of this radio in my area. I have it set up as a base unit which is how it came to me when I bought it. And another thing is the frequencies that I may or may not can use on any ham bands. I have seen some information as to using it on the 70cm band but if I am using it for that purpose, do I still need a separate GMRS license to operate this radio?

Happy to help.

If you want to transmit on GMRS frequencies, you will need a GMRS license. The amateur radio license only covers the amateur radio frequencies.

As for 70 centimeters, you might want to check some of the online repeater databases and see if there are any in your area. Personally, I've found 70 centimeters to be really quiet in my area, very lightly used, and almost no simplex communications going on for FM. I used to have dual band amateur radios, but stopped buying them after a while, 70 cm never got used by me. Even when I had my GMRS license and had commercial radios with GMRS and 70cm stuff in them, I found I rarely used 70cm for anything.

It really depends on the environment you are in. Some parts of the country 70cm is heavily used, other parts, not so much. May not be worth the investment.

graywoulf

Thanks again for your help and advice. I have been told that 70cm is pretty quiet in my area as well so that is definitely something to consider. It sounds like to me that my best option is to put the 8180 up for sale. I did have the GMRS frequencies programmed into my cheap Chinese HT for a while and while scanning, all I ever heard was commercial business use on those frequencies. I can at least say that I got a deal on a power supply in that bundle I bought. The Kenwood KPS-15 works well with my 281A. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.