• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK 8180 power on problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jingoes

Hi all,
am having a problem with my Kenwood TK8180. Had it running yesterday and all was fine. When I went to turn it on today and it lights up the LCD for a second then shuts down making a slight crack in the speaker. Was wondering if anyone can give me suggestions on what could be going wrong. Am using a good power supply, and have a new antenna which works fine on my GME.
Thanks
Jingoes.

FKimble

I'd double check all the power connections end to end, especially fuse holder. Antenna has nothing to do with it powering on.

Frank

Jingoes

Thanks Frank took top off the radio and checked the voltage at the input on circuit board and it measured the 13.8 v out put of the power supply. Measuring the voltage while pushing on switch gave virtually no voltage drop. The radio came on at one stage but would not restart once turned off again. Has me stummped why it switches off straight away after powering on.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Frank took top off the radio and checked the voltage at the input on circuit board and it measured the 13.8 v out put of the power supply. Measuring the voltage while pushing on switch gave virtually no voltage drop. The radio came on at one stage but would not restart once turned off again. Has me stummped why it switches off straight away after powering on.

Had one that had a bad ribbon cable to front head that shorted power supply to ground.

Check fuses F401 and F801.

John

cmdrwill

Are you disconnecting DC power completely? Some radios are designed to have main DC on all the time and turn on and off thru Ignition control wire. Some radios will not turn on if both DC sources are switched.

Jingoes

Had a look at all the fuses and checked the ribbon to the front control panel, It's a very odd situation, The only thing I can now think of is the small 3volt rechargeable battery just above the connector that joins the ribbon to the control panel. This battery no longer produces 3volts only gets to 2.5volts . And when power is disconnected it looses power quite quickly .Not fully Shure what the purpose of this battery is but assume it may have something to do with memory storage. Tried the ignition sensor wire by connecting it and it also has no effect upon the situation. It is strange because when it first happened it actually came on a few times. But now it just gives a fast flash of the LCD display and a small crack in the speaker and then goes back to the off state. Thanks all for your suggestions they are much appreciated. Will keep at it because I hope it will end up being something reasonably simple.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The small battery only powers the "real time clock" when the radio is not powered.
Kenwood part number is: W09-0971-05 listed as "lithium cell".

If the fuses check out, the cables are OK and it passes basic voltage checks, I'd send it in for repair. There's a lot of possibilities, but these things require the right tools to work on. An hour of bench time at a shop is cheaper than a new radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.