kenwood tk260 and 2-tone alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogbobo

I have a kenwood tk-260g VHF radio that I got to tool around with, mostly in the 2M ham band (btw it does work, for those who ever wondered) ... my question is this, in the software you can do 2-tone decoding but the problem is it only allows you to do A-B or A-C etc... formatting (i.e. you can't select a long C tone) .... anywhoo, I'd like to use the 1050hz weather tone on the local wx freq ... I've tried entering 1050 in A, B, and C but with no luck ... any ideas?

kg4uad

TK-260G 2-Tone

pogbobo said:
I have a kenwood tk-260g VHF radio that I got to tool around with, mostly in the 2M ham band (btw it does work, for those who ever wondered) ... my question is this, in the software you can do 2-tone decoding but the problem is it only allows you to do A-B or A-C etc... formatting (i.e. you can't select a long C tone) .... anywhoo, I'd like to use the 1050hz weather tone on the local wx freq ... I've tried entering 1050 in A, B, and C but with no luck ... any ideas?

Ive done exactly what you want to do with my 260g and 270g, in the signaling options for the radio you will see a box selectable that when changed will say either "AN" or "OR". Select "OR" this will deactivate the two-tone option and allow the radio squelch to open for the 1050hz tone. just remember in "AN" aka "AND" mode the radio looks for the 2-Tone, and in "OR" which maybe stands for "Other" it will allow the one tone. It will be a nogo for FIPS but will open on the initial 1050hz warning tone. Also note if you have your 260G firmware upgraded for scan, it may or may not work in scan, at least with two tone if the radio misses even the smallest part of the two tone (because your scanning) it will Not open the squelch. 1050hz might be a bit more forgiving but i would plan if you wanna do it leaving on that channel and not scanning.

73's

kg4uad

kg4uad

260G 2-tone

Oh and manually enter 1050 into tone "A" block. always use "A" for a single tone, tone "B" blank. the 260G is a great radio for the price and yes works awesome for 2m ham, if you dont have scan capabilities invest the 20 bucks at your kenwood dealer and get the firmware, then you just lie to the radio and program it as a 270g - the only firmware version ive seen by default makes channel 1 the priority channel (if you use a priority) otherwise it will just scan all 8 channels like a scanner, in other words although youve programmed it like a 270g you will not have "user selectable priority" option.

73's

kg4uad

pogbobo

thanks kg4uad ... I'm familiar with the and vs. or signaling from when I programmed my tk-3160 ... it is programmed correctly on my 260 bc when I write the programming and turn to the channel with the signaling I can see the green light but not hear any audio, so i'm sure that aspect of the programming is correct ...... I will try leaving tone B empty and just putting 1050 in tone A .... what should I select for the formatting? A-B I assume?

thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.