• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK5310 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kma438

Premium Subscriber
My TK3180K LCD screen is damaged. I am looking to replace it with the TK5310K2 or 3 . What version hardware do you recommend? Is it possible to program more than 16 channels on the control knob like my TK3180. Is the programming the same as TK3180? I will be using it for Ham,GMRS and local P25. Any special requirements to purchase software? And what is latest version of KPG95?
Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The higher version hardware would be preferred, but don't get hung up on it. You won't be doing trunking. Find one that looks good, is a good price, and the seller is reputable. For ham use, any of them will work.
For GMRS, none of the TK-5310 models have the required Part 95 certification.

The K2/K3 are the high split models, 450-520. Unless you really need to listen to something up in the T band, you'd be better from a ham standpoint with the K5/K6/K7. Those are 380-470MHz. While you can often take the high split models into the 70cm band, you'll likely have issues with performance down near the bottom of the ham bands.

You can have more than 16 channels in a zone, but the rotary selector on the top will only let you choose 16. You can program front panel buttons to do the channel select and have access to more.

KPG-95, I'm not sure what the latest release is, but I know I'm using 8.10, and it's from 2014. Not sure if there are newer versions.

No tricks to getting KPG-95, the dealer will happily sell it to you.

kma438

Premium Subscriber
Thanks mmckenna for the quick reply. Also does the P25 need an activation key or is it in the radio hardware (Version) ?

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
As Mike said, I would look for the low split as they also have FPP (KW disabled that in the later versions of software for what ever reason) and the high split would not let you program via FPP out of band. I would try to stay away from the version 1 radios, the scan was goofy on them unless you get the updated firmware (the firmware is version specific, and on the V1 they had fw for DES and another for non DES enabled radios).

KPG-95DGN 8.30 is the latest, and we also keep KPG-95D 6.10 on the laptops so we can enable the FPP if needed.

Jim

kma438

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Jim. What is the difference between the KPG-95D 7.01 and DG 6.22? I won't be using FPP.
Thanks

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Jim. What is the difference between the KPG-95D 7.01 and DG 6.22? I won't be using FPP.
Thanks

Not sure, I was not able to find anything on the dealer site. I assume it to address a firmware or model change.

Status
Not open for further replies.