• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK760

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Quick question for the group ...
I have a Kenwood TK760 and would like to install it in my UTV for riding in the desert.
So I was wondering if this radio is built to Mil Spec and is rated Dust Proof.
I used a handheld radio before, however after a season in the desert the radio packed it in.

What are you using?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It has Mil-Spec rating for dust, vibration and shock.
The Mil-Spec 810 ratings are kind of a mess when used in the commercial world, but they give you a pretty good idea.

For ATV use, you should be just fine. Durable radio that should stand up to that sort of use. These were popular radios in their day and saw a lot of usage in heavy equipment, trucks, etc.
I'm running a Motorola CDM-1250 in my Polaris Ranger, and I'd have no problems running a Kenwood 760 in there if I had one. The Motorola has been in there for about 7 years and about 5,000 miles. Important part is to mount it well so it doesn't vibrate loose, and it's preferable to have it mounted under the dash to give it a bit of protection of rain/mud/snow, etc.

westcoaster

You would want to ensure the rubber plug (or a reasonable facsimile) is over the external speaker jack at the back of the radio if the jack is not in use.
I don't think the 760 is as well gasketed as the later radios.
Being it is a mobile radio and is mounted in the vehicle, that would permit you the ability, if you desire, to augment the 760's lack of dust proofing with your own improvised gaskets....
As far as the radio controls (buttons) if/when they do stop working because of the dust it isn't much to pull the head apart and clean things up with alcohol pads and compressed air. (the same for any radio)

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
it has no O-ring seals on the control head or chassis, unlike say, a CDM750/1250/1550 or a newer Kenwood like a TK-7180. Dust should not be a problem unless it gets poured into the control surfaces, but moisture sure will be (which in a desert shouldn't be a problem).

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I have dealt with that style radio in agricultural settings, mostly vineyard trucks. Other than the speaker and the front of the buttons getting packed with dirt and mung to the point they don't work well there is very little dust intrusion into the radio's innards, A quick cleaning usually perks it up again.

Now if an errant coffee cup crosses its path all bets are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.