• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK790 problem 1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TK790

Please help me Kenwood TK790 purchased via the Internet and does not function as I did in the pictur
my problem Hardware or Software
You can formate
What is the way to do

I'm sorry for my language
I Use Google Translator

Attachments

• IMG_????????_??????.jpg
    IMG_????????_??????.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 247

LakeMan2

Probably needs to be programed. I had the same situation. Seller probably deleted all channels. All that is left is one channel with random numbers in it. You are seeing the one channel remaining in the program.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Right, you need the programming cable and programming software. That will let you program in the frequencies you are licensed for and set up the rest of the radio features. Since two way radios are complex pieces of equipment, there isn't a default setting that you can use, the settings of the radio need to be programmed in depending on your exact needs. When they come new from the factory, they are blank like this. It's up to the radio technician to set them up per the radio license and government rules.

Also, you'll need to turn the RF output power down if you plan on transmitting with that radio. The power supply may not be able to handle the current draw of the radio. Usually the TK-790 comes in a 50 watt or 100 watt version. The 50 watt radios will pull about 13 amperes when transmitting. A 100 watt radio will draw closer to 20 amperes while transmitting. While the power supply shows a "surge" rating of 14 amps, that's only for short periods.

TK790

Probably needs to be programed. I had the same situation. Seller probably deleted all channels. All that is left is one channel with random numbers in it. You are seeing the one channel remaining in the program.

thank you for helping me

TK790

Right, you need the programming cable and programming software. That will let you program in the frequencies you are licensed for and set up the rest of the radio features. Since two way radios are complex pieces of equipment, there isn't a default setting that you can use, the settings of the radio need to be programmed in depending on your exact needs. When they come new from the factory, they are blank like this. It's up to the radio technician to set them up per the radio license and government rules.

Also, you'll need to turn the RF output power down if you plan on transmitting with that radio. The power supply may not be able to handle the current draw of the radio. Usually the TK-790 comes in a 50 watt or 100 watt version. The 50 watt radios will pull about 13 amperes when transmitting. A 100 watt radio will draw closer to 20 amperes while transmitting. While the power supply shows a "surge" rating of 14 amps, that's only for short periods.

thank you for helping me

How can I programmed I want allowable frequencies I only amateur

LakeMan2

thank you for helping me

If amateur (beginner), you may not want to try programing. Find a local radio shop that will program it for you.

If you do want to try to program it by your self, you need a program cable KPG-43U by itself, or a KPG-43A plus a USB to serial FTDI cable. Then you need the software KPG-44D v2.10 (windows). Then you need to do a lot of research on the web to understand how to use them and how to program a radio. It is too much to detail here in a forum. It will take a lot of time and effort for you to understand it all, which is why you might want to find a radio store to program for you. Or, if your country has the equivalent of HAM radio, maybe a local radio club can help you.

Last edited:

TK790

If amateur, you may not want to try programing. Find a local radio shop that will program it for you.

If you do want to try to program it by your self, you need a program cable KPG-43U by itself, or a KPG-43A plus a USB to serial FTDI cable. Then you need the software KPG-44D v2.10 (windows). Then you need to do a lot of research on the web to understand how to use them and how to program a radio. It is too much to detail here in a forum. It will take a lot of time and effort for you to understand it all, which is why you might want to find a radio store to program for you. Or, if your country has the equivalent of HAM radio, maybe a local radio club can help you.

Thank you so much

I will buy Cable and search the Internet for the appropriate program
Thank you

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
thank you for helping me

If you hold an amateur radio license in your country, these radios will work on the 2 meter band. Here in the USA, that's 144.000MHz to 148.000MHz. I know some other countries have a slightly different 2 meter amateur radio allocation, I think 144.000MHz to 146.000MHz is the other one.

These radios will work fine as a 2 meter amateur radio.

As LakeMan said, the KPG-44 programming software and cable will get you started. You'll need a Windows PC computer.

The "help" files for the software are pretty good. If they don't answer your questions, let us know and we can assist.

Keep in mind that the KPG-44 software has different versions depending on the market it's sold in. Most Kenwood radios are set up for a market area and you have to have the correct market software to match the radio. In other words, the KPG-44 used here in the USA may not work with a radio that has been sold in an Asian market.

It may be best to look for a Kenwood dealer in your area and get them to tell you what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.