• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK8180H vs TK-8360H for GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

9Track

Hello. Have newly registered, but have been reading the forums for a while. I've not been able to find this kind of information on these two radios, but have a couple of questions that maybe someone will know.

Is the TK-8360H a newer radio than the 8180H? If so, I've wondered why it has 128 channels, whereas the 8180H has 512 channels?

Are there any advantages to one of these models over the other? I'll primarily be using it on GMRS. I have the 8360H and have been using it on GMRS, but am wondering if there is any benefit to also getting the 8180H? If I can find the H version of either model in 400-470 MHz, I may program it for GMRS, as well as some repeaters on the 70cm ham band. (Mine is 470-520 MHz.)

Thanks much,

Steve

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hello. Have newly registered, but have been reading the forums for a while.

Welcome Steve.

Is the TK-8360H a newer radio than the 8180H? If so, I've wondered why it has 128 channels, whereas the 8180H has 512 channels?

No, not really newer, just aimed at a slightly different market. The TK-8180 has more features/channel capacity/display size. 8360 has less, and is thus a bit cheaper.

Are there any advantages to one of these models over the other?

You'll save some money on the 8360 if all you are doing is GMRS. It has less features and should be a bit cheaper, at least they were new. 8180 is going to be more popular and will probably cost you a bit more used.

I'll primarily be using it on GMRS. I have the 8360H and have been using it on GMRS, but am wondering if there is any benefit to also getting the 8180H?

If you wanted to really toe the line on the FCC rules, none of the H model radios have Part 95 acceptance, and if someone at the FCC really wanted to focus on the rules, it would not be legal to use on GMRS. But, yeah, unlikely anyone would ever notice. You would not be the first one to do it.

If I can find the H version of either model in 400-470 MHz, I may program it for GMRS, as well as some repeaters on the 70cm ham band. (Mine is 470-520 MHz.)
Kenwood did not make a 400-470MHz version of the TK-8360. They were all 450-520MHz. They might stretch down towards 440, but I'd not bet money on that. Some will, some give up before they get that far out of their design.

The TK-8180 came in two band splits:
400-470MHz
450-520MHz
They came in two power levels:
H models were 45 watts on high power
Non-H models were 30 watts on high power.

None of the 400-470MHz models had FCC Part 95 certification, again, if you wanted to really follow the rules to the maximum.
None of the H high power models had Part 95, either. But again, unless someone was holding the RF deck in their hands, they wouldn't be able to tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

9Track

mmckenna,

Great information - thanks! Wow, that Part 95 business is an elusive category to run down. I thought they were Part 95, which is what got my interest to start with. It looks like my idea of a 45-watt UHF commercial radio that will do both GMRS, 70cm and Part 95 is difficult to find.

I also thought about a Motorola PM400, but the software appears to be much harder for me to find. I also like the Kenwoods and their menus and like that external speakers can be connected with an 1/8" plug.

Guess I'll keep looking and researching. Thanks again!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Don't get hung up on the power level. 30 watts vs. 45 watts doesn't make a big difference in range, and you can easily make up that difference with better coax or antenna gain.

9Track

Don't get hung up on the power level. 30 watts vs. 45 watts doesn't make a big difference in range, and you can easily make up that difference with better coax or antenna gain.

I've thought about that. I may just go with the 30 watt version.

Status
Not open for further replies.