• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TKR-840 UHF Repeater - Need help programing for Ham Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

n6fnp

Premium Subscriber
I have a Kenwood TKR-840 UHF Repeater that I would like to put up for use on the
Ham 440 MHz band. I have the KPG-47D software and can program the repeater with
frequencies above 450 MHz, but the program will not let me enter frequencies below 450.

I used a HEX editor and changed the 450 entries in the KPG47D.exe program to 440, but the
modified program doesn't start up and gives an illegal instruction error. I even tried changing
some of the other entries hoping that it was just a checksum issue, but was still not able to
get it to work.

If anyone can provide assistance on letting me know how to get this repeater programmed
on Ham frequencies, it would be appreciated!

-Thor (N6FNP)

tr93940 (at) hotmail.com

BirkenVogt

This is a stab in the dark, but try making the .DAT file up in the stock program with legal frequencies, and then use the hex editor on it to change the freqs, then reopen with KPG47 and write to the radio.

n6fnp

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the recommendation regarding editing the .DAT file in a hex editor. I had
thought of that, but when I looked at one of these files in a HEX editor, I wasn't able
to tell where the frequency information was.

If anyone knows how to set the channel frequency in a Kenwood .DAT file, I would
appreciate the information.

-Thor (N6FNP)

BirkenVogt

If I remember correctly, the 40 series is an older product. I think it has a DOS programming software. I assume you are using Windows. Could you find a Windows 98 computer, boot into DOS, and attempt programming that way? (Having already hex edited the software or DAT file as appropriate)

Just gotta keep stabbing at it until you find a way.

dksac2

I don't know a whole lot about programming that radio. I have one (the same model number) and do know for a fact that they do need to be programmed by the DOS system. I had my radio programmed by a friend and it works great.

John

AC2O

Hex Edit with XP?

I have that repeater and the KPG47 software running and programming with XP pro.
Use it for commercial stuff, but would like to Hex edit the frequencies for ham as well. I know people who edit the data file then write it to the radio. I need info on what program to use for hex editing.
Thanks

n2mci

Here's a new link to a utility I wrote that does all this hex editing for you.. You program in 45x.yyyy freq...
Save your work in KPG47D which creates a xxxx.DAT file.. Run my prg (KWR2HEZP) and input the
file name.. If my prg. isn't in the same DIRectory as the .DAT file, you'll need incluse any PATH info along
with the FN.. After the file is converted all the 45x.yyyy will now be 44x.yyyy..

N2MCI

Unless you make changes to the freq., this is a one time thing.. The prg. works for UHF TK-830 & 840's.

The program is complied with an old 16 bit compiler, so it runs on DOS, how ever it does not run on
Windows 7 or newer.. It's on my list to re-compile this and other exe with a 32bit compiler so it will
run on the new OS's.. I've already had to re-compile some of utility's I wrote for KW 900mhz to Ham..

-Pete

derekjmu

Premium Subscriber
Pete:

Thanks for posting a link to your utility. I had a TKR-840 sitting on a shelf that I want to put in service as a ham repeater and this helped tremendously.

After tuning the receiver it's breaking squelch at -120 dBm. I'll take it.

Thanks again.

Derek
KD4ADL

Status
Not open for further replies.