Kenwood: Kenwood TM 281 mic removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF0AWL

Hobo
I feel like I'm missing something but I looked through my manual n dont see a answer so ill ask yall.
I wanna program my 281 with my computer so I need to take the mic out to use the USB uplink cable but I don't see anything about how to remove it and don't wanna yank it out if it has a locking tab 🤔

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Uhhh, its the same plug as used on ethernet cable. The lock tab is under the boot, on the bottom of the mic plug.

Grab the boot on the sides, and gently slide it off the plug.

KF0AWL

Hobo
Ok thanks. I tried that n it didn't seem to move.
Had it about a year from brand new so probably why.
Thanks again

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Had it about a year from brand new so probably why.
If you bought it brand new in the box, the mic would not have been connected to the radio. Therefore, you put that connector in there. You should be able to remove it. ;)

See if you can carefully pull back the boot a bit. That should make the locking tab more visible. Or, carefully feel around on the bottom of the boot. You should be able to feel the tab through the boot.

mrweather

I wanted to replace the KMC-28 mic from my TK-790/890 with something less hefty and ended up using the mic from my 281. Impedance the the same, RJ45 end the same, manufacturer the same. The mic cord boot peeled away easily enough from the lip around the base of the mic itself.

cmdrwill

Correct, the tab on the mic connector is on the left side.
Also on the Kenwood microphones they are kinda shy on audio sensitivity. The hole in the mic front is small, .075 dia.
I found that when I drilled out the 'mic hole' to .095 dia the mic had a much better response and better volume on TX.

I like the KMC 30 microphone, it does not have the keypad. And I drilled out the mic hole and it works very well

Status
Not open for further replies.