Kenwood TM-281A Carrier but no audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb3yeu

OK I just purchased a Kenwood TM-281A and I am having a strange issue.

When I try to connect to a repeater, the radio is not sending any audio. I have the correct tone, etc. Even my club's repeater which does not require a tone is not receiving any audio from me. I use my handheld and it works fine. Here is the twist. On simplex the audio is great. Any ideas from any of the more experienced out there?

Thank you,

Clark

MT_Madman

Try a different mic if you've got one, I've had a couple go bad but was able to repair them by finding cold solder joints.

N4KVE

Here's an idea. Try to transmit into the repeater as usual, but listen on the HT to the repeater input freq. This way you'll know if you really have audio or not.Obviously if the radio has audio on simplex, the mike works. Also, if you're trying to listen on your HT while tx'ing on the 281, the hi power mobile can be desensing the ht. GARY N4KVE

kb3yeu

Re: input frequency

I will try listening to the input frequency tonight. Thank you for your help.

Clark

kb3yeu

Re: Mic

Thats ok. This is frustrating. I have worked with radios and repeaters for years on GMRS so I know the basics but this has me baffled.

Kenwood's response to my email was basically the same as the manual which I have tried so many times. Of course I haven't heard back from the dealer that I JUST ordered it from.

Oh well, more troubleshooting in my future. :)

Clark

SCPD

QRT
OK I just purchased a Kenwood TM-281A and I am having a strange issue.

When I try to connect to a repeater, the radio is not sending any audio. I have the correct tone, etc. Even my club's repeater which does not require a tone is not receiving any audio from me.

How did you verify this?

When you pressed and then released the PTT microphone switch, did you hear the repeater confirmation tone?

It sounds like you're not on the correct input frequency. Are you sure the offset value and offset shift is correct?

kb3yeu

Re: my issue

I monitored, with a scanner and my HT, both the input and output freqs of the repeater. I was getting no audio. I could hear the squelch tail on the club repeater so it was opening. Tonight when I got home I tried listening to the input freq once again and I could hear myself. Still nothing on the receive side from the repeater. I then jumped on another repeater in the area and got a response and had a QSO for about 10 minutes. Could it be that my scanner and HT weren't picking up the repeater's output? All seems like it is working now but who knows.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.