Kenwood TM-742 (No audio / squelch).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
I have a Kenwood TM-742, it's been sitting in storage for years. Powered it up, but there was no audio for squelch. When I thought about it, that's why it went to storage.

I didn't have it hooked to an antenna, so I didn't transmit with it. That shouldn't impact the squelch, though.

What are some likely causes, and what are the options to get it repaired? As I recall, it was a good radio (when it worked).

Thanks much,
Brts96

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Cliff at Avvid has a good reputation when it comes to repairing Kenwoods. The problem may be getting parts.

AVVid - Kenwood Service

W5CIA sells lots of used radio parts including modules, control heads, and chassis for the TM-x4x line.

Untitled Document

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
I'll check them out. Any ideas on the possible cause of the issue?

Respectfully,
Brts96

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
If I recall correctly, there is an internal speaker connection on the main PCB. The connection may have become disconnected or loose. To test, connect an external speaker to the rear jack to see if you get audio. If the rear jack works, the internal speaker is likely either bad or not connected.

If you plan to remove the cover to check the internal speaker, be careful not to pull the speaker wires as you remove the cover... they are short.

John AC4JK

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
Chief,
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it tomorrow. When I adjusted the squelch, the S meter on the respective band never showed any rise.

Might be time to have a pro check it over. As has already been pointed out, sourcing parts may be an issue.

Hopefully, it's something simple.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
I emailed Cliff, and it sounds like it's a resistor that came unsoldered from the radio. R121, in fact.

Thanks for the reference to him, he really knows his stuff!

Hopefully, I'll have it up and running tonight.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
Got the radio fixed, and it receives very well. I'm glad I got it out of storage, and contacted Cliff.

Thank you for the reference!

Status
Not open for further replies.