Kenwood TM-D700A or Yaesu FTM350AR

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieselFF918

Hey all, I am looking to go with a dual band mobile for my new setup in my Durango, and would like some input.

I am looking at getting either a Kenwood TM-D700A or a Yaesu FTM350AR. They both have most of the same options, cross band repeat, APRS which is a main selling point for me, dual band with dual operation etc...

The TM-D700A would save me about $200 because it is used, is there anything that the FTM350AR has going for it, other than it would be brand new, over the Kenwood, to support the extra money I would have to spend?

BJ_NORTON

I would try and use them both before buying. I understand the Yaesu works quite differently than the kenwood on APRS stuff, and you might like one way better than the other. Kenwood has been in the APRS game longer, so they seem to be the default way things are done

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If all you need is a radio and APRS tracker, the Yaesu will do the job.

With the Kenwood, you get full access to the internal TNC so you can connect the radio to a computer and run an APRS program, like UI-View or APRSIS/32, or a packet program, like Outpost or RMS Express.

Howdy_All

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Diesel,
I will interject my own personal opinion.
Both radios has their pluses or minuses.

Neither of them will do SSB.

The Kenwood has a dinky little speaker and if used detached - you will need to also use a remote speaker - preferably amplified, because the audio in that radio is real crappy.

The Yaesu is a wonderful radio - even has 1 watt TX on 220 from what I remember and can be used for a multitude of things.
The audio out - speaker is ok - could be better, could be worse - but is great for use in a shack as a base station - lot's of power.

I like both radios for different reasons - but I also don't like them for a couple of reasons.

The Yaesu 7900 is probably a better choice - if you are not too picky, but it doesn't do APRS...
But it doesn't do cross repeat.

The Yaesu 8900 is a even better all around radio, doing `10 / 6 / 2 / and 440 equally well.
It also does cross repeat.
But that comes with a price tag of about $450.00

The new radio would be the logically better choice - because then you have a one year warranty.

If you buy a used Yaesu and there is something wrong with it, the bench charge is around $100 just to have it looked at and about $75.00 - for the usual repairs.

The old automotive commercial - you can pay me now, or you can pay me later.

Me personally - I would stick with the Yaesu.

Last edited:

DieselFF918

I know about the bench and repair charges, I had a Yaesu 1802M, that had a restaurant cup leak over top of it and it shorted out the front panel.

I looked into having it repaired, but after finding out how expensive it was, compared to replacing it, I just went and bought another one.

If I am correct, neither the TM-D700A or the FTM350AR are have the NWS channels built in? That is one thing about my 1802M that i really like.

DieselFF918

On a side note here, I have a question about the leads for my 1802M. I am looking to make a set of extension leads for my radio, so it will reach the console.

I am looking to use an extra set of leads, that came with the replacement radio I bought, plus the pig tail off of the old radio, to make a plug in extension for my radio.

In theory this should work fine, but wanted some input, and should the extension be fused?

69Z28

Banned
I know about the bench and repair charges, I had a Yaesu 1802M, that had a restaurant cup leak over top of it and it shorted out the front panel.

I looked into having it repaired, but after finding out how expensive it was, compared to replacing it, I just went and bought another one.

If I am correct, neither the TM-D700A or the FTM350AR are have the NWS channels built in? That is one thing about my 1802M that i really like.
Do you want to do amateur radio, or do you want to listen to the weather channel?
You can program the 350R to receive the weather frequencies.
It will receive most of the amateur bands up to 999 mhz - cell phone frequencies blocked.
You can also listen to the public service bands - just like a scanner and commercial FM radio.

69Z28

Banned
If the Yaesu 1802M uses a T type connector, you can purchase a new harness for about $15 that includes about 9' of wire.
There is a aftermarket vendor which I used recently to purchase a new wire for my radios.
DC Power Connectors, CAbles, and Accessories
Why does it need to reach the console?
Why not run the radio off the battery or a suitable fuse in the panel.
I would be worried that you are going to pick up a lot of ignition, fuel pump, alternator, PCM noise off the harness with that particular vehicle. Dodges are known for noise problems and birdies.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Also the FTM350 will also TX on 220 its only a watt but hey it can do it

Status
Not open for further replies.