Kenwood TM-D710 and Garmin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZS6XOX

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

TM-D710 and Gamin
« on: Today at 01:37:10 PM »

Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify Remove messageRemove
Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased a Kenwood TM-D710. I have a Garmin GPSMap 62s I wat to hook up to the Kenwood for APRS. However I have searched a lot and found nothing. The closest I can get is this video Setup APRS with Kenwood D710 and Garmin Oregon 400t - YouTube. In this video the guy explains in detail how to hook up the cables.

I have the Garmin cable, but I do not have the cable that comes with the TM-D710 (as the guy in the video explains). I bought the Kenwood on eBay and I did not get the Kenwood cable with.

Can anyone please explain what type of cable it is and how I can get one or manufacture one?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thank You

Danny

ZS6XOX

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
The Garmin 62 only will support USB data outputs. You will need a converter to hook to the Kenwood. I stuck with an old e trek for this reason. Your radio needs NEMA output from the GPS (4800 baud)

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
There is a cable you can buy for the Garmin 62 series to use it with a serial plug, (http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-miniusb-serial-data-and-power-cable.html) from there you need to give it between 5 and 12 volts to engage the data converter and you have to put on a end (Like the 3 pin 2.5mm that will plug into the side of the D710 remote head). The best solution I can offer is buy a Garmin nuvi 530 and then use the cable from Argent data (https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/...ucts_id=113&osCsid=0flbke23a9f8maktsepe6sstt5)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The problem with the OEM Kenwood cable is that the wires are difficult to solder to. I believe the copper strands are stranded with fiberglass and it just doesn't take solder very well.

An alternative is this cable from Argent Data. The wires are pure copper strands and you can buy almost four of them for what PacParts charges for the OEM Kenwood cable.

https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/...ducts_id=29&osCsid=bv6in883tuq3hf1sh04k94mgq1

ZS6XOX

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies. O.k I sorted it out. Here is what you need to do ... (and yes, the Kenwood bare cable is NOT easy to solder ... :) ... )

You need a Kenwood cable with part number E30-3374-05. By the looks of it (after much reading and searching), this Kenwood cable comes with the Kenwood TH-D7's, TH-D72's and TM-D710's (It could be that this cable comes with other Kenwood radios, but I cannot say for sure). It has 3 wires, RED, WHITE and a bare (stranded) copper wire. It has a standard 2.5mm jack on one side and no plug/jack on the other side.

The Garmin Serial/Data cable part number is 010-11131-00. Just connect them as shown in the picture.

Attachments

• APRS_Kenwood_Garmap62s_ZS6X0X.jpg
    APRS_Kenwood_Garmap62s_ZS6X0X.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,788

K4NNW

Am I guessing that you got the 62 working properly? I tried for quite a while to get my 62st to spit out NMEA data for use with a Kenwood D72. After a few months, I gave the 62st to my best friend, got a 78s, soldered the proper wires on the supplied cables, and now have waypoint mapping again.

ZS6XOX

Sorry for late reply ... Was in deepest Africa for a while ...

I have only tested it twice before and it seems to be working properly ... Will give a detailed report a little later ...

73's

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.