Kenwood: Kenwood TM-D710 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobi1

The APRS beacon on my Kenwood TM-D710 is not working.

It used to work properly.

I go to aprs.fi and see nothing.

What could be wrong?

How can I fix this?

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Is the radio actually beaconing? Do you see the radio switch to transmit occasionally?

n5ims

I show that your last reported packet was back on 2016-11-27 13:15:59 EST and you had some posts on that same day about how to change your radio's output power. Perhaps you somehow changed one or more important settings while working on that problem that caused your APRS to stop working.

At this point, I would assume that your settings are not correct and go through the APRS manual (http://manual.kenwood.com/files/4dd5d065321eb.pdf - starting on page 41 in this .pdf) and verify that all settings are correct and that you have the correct side of the radio both on the APRS frequency (144.390 MHz) and it is set for APRS operation (APRS12 should be showing on that side's information on your radio's screen).

Other things that could be the issue are:

1) You are no longer in range of a iGate system that passes the RF packets on to the internet servers.
2) You are in range of a digipeater but your settings are not correct for it to forward them along to other stations. These have been changed, but it's been a while ago. You may still be using the old settings and your local digipeater has been changed to stop forwarding packets that don't use the newer settings. I believe that this will be under your radio's "Packet Path" setting.
3) Your packet transmit frequency is incorrect. This may include the frequency being incorrect, you have the radio set to use an offset (valid for repeater operation, but not for packet, APRS, or simplex operation)..
4) Your packet baud rate is set incorrectly. APRS uses 1200 baud while your radio probably supports other rates that are incompatible with APRS, such as 300 and 9600 baud.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Is the TNC actually on? Does it say APRS12 on the top row of the radio?

Do you receive packets and they are displayed?

And, dumb question not meant to offend you, but...you are on 144.390 on the side you have set for APRS, correct?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Are you receiving APRS beacons? I.e. do they appear on your display periodically, whenever another station beacons?

AK9R

Super Moderator
It say APRS 1 at the top right.
It should say either APRS12 or APRS96, not APRS1. Also, that indication should be on the upper left of the display, not the upper right.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he just didn't remember it said 12 instead of 1 and got left and right mixed up.

OP: Here is an image of a D710 - noticed the APRS12 on the left top. Obviously in the US the APRS freq is 144.390 so ignore the other freq listed as APRS. (Not my image.)

The other question I've asked is - which side of the radio do you have set to use APRS. I'm not asking what side you have tuned to 144.390 but what side did you tell it in the settings...because they'll have to match (tune it on the proper side).

Attachments

• tmd710front.jpg
    tmd710front.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 571

AK9R

Super Moderator
The other question I've asked is - which side of the radio do you have set to use APRS. I'm not asking what side you have tuned to 144.390 but what side did you tell it in the settings...because they'll have to match (tune it on the proper side).
And, that easy to verify by looking at the display.

See the "D" in reverse color (green on black instead of black on green) to the right of the 144.800 frequency display? That means that the A band has been set for APRS use. This is determined by the "Data Band" selection which is the first item in Menu 601.

Also, "GPS" in the upper right of the display should be blinking if the radio is connected to a GPS receiver and the radio is receiving GPS data strings. If it's a TM-D710GA and the internal GPS receiver is being used, that icon will show "iGPS".

In order for the radio to beacon automatically, Beacon Method in Menu 611 needs to be set to "SmartBeaconing" or "Auto". In addition, beaconing needs to be turned on via the "BCON" button (5th button from the left) and "BCON" should appear in the upper right of the display next to "GPS" or "iGPS".

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
And, that easy to verify by looking at the display.

See the "D" in reverse color (green on black instead of black on green) to the right of the 144.800 frequency display? That means that the A band has been set for APRS use. This is determined by the "Data Band" selection which is the first item in Menu 601.

Yes, I should have said that. Didn't even think about it even after looking at the image.

mobi1, we're glad to help! Just need answers to these questions...there are some asked that you've skipped or not seen yet. Let us know and we'll help all we can!

AK9R

Super Moderator
This is the answer to which question? You've been asked several.

Could you take a photo of your radio's display and attach it to a forum post? It will save a lot of back-and-forth.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Below the "Quick Reply" box you should see two buttons "Post Quick Reply" and "Go Advanced". Click "Go Advanced". When you are in the advanced message entry window, you should see an option below the text box that says "Manage Attachments". Click on that and then click on "Choose File" and then "Upload". That will upload an attachment. Note that there's a limit on image size, so you may want to resize your photo before posting.

Look back at the photo that 03msc posted. See where it says "PI3BOZ" above the 145.6875 display? That is the channel name. If that's where you are seeing "APRS", that's just the channel name, not the mode that the radio is in. You should see "APRS12" in the top line of the display on the left. If you don't, press the TNC button (bottom button on the right) and see if the radio goes into APRS mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.