Kenwood: Kenwood TM-D710A/TM-D700 NO GPS blinking icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber
Looking for some help with troubleshooting this problem. I have had this same set up for approximately 10 years. Using the TM-D710A with a Garmin GPSMAP 176 (greyscale) to provide position and to display the aprs icons on the gps map. The GPSMAP 176 has the NMEA 0183 for "data out/data in" all of this has worked well for years.
Recently my GPSMAP 176 died, it being so old Garmin no longer repairs them. I purchased a used Garmin GPSMAP 176C (Color display not greyscale) to replace the older gps unit, basically exact same gps unit. With the radio configured and gps configured I am unable to get the flashing "gps" icon, thus it will not transmit a position. I am able to receive other stations they show up in my "list" on the 710 and they show up on the gps unit as waypoints.
I tried using my D700 with the same gps unit and got same results.
I tried my D700 with a Garmin GPSIII and get the same results, no blinking "gps" icon.
I purchased a new 3 conductor 2.5mm cable that goes from the (D-710) connector end to the gps cabling (bare wires) and this did not help.
So I am baffled here what to do next, 2 different radios and 2 different gps units and I get the same results.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks In Advance!
73, Rex

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Try hooking the GPS up to a PC serial port and look at the data stream via hyperteminal ? Also if you have a mapping program that will see GPS nmea i'd try that. Most of the new GPS units do not support serial anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.