Kenwood: Kenwood TM-D710G mic extension cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrwill

Last edited by a moderator:

LTCSZ

So you are saying it's better to bite the bullet and buy the Kenwood extension cable set for $65 vs a good Cat-6 for about $10?

Last edited:

wrath

Yup unless you don't mind people waiting for you to explode from the ticking , one of the wires in the actual Kenwood cables has special shielding on one of the wires , it is not guaranteed to be there with a cat 5 cable but it's also not guaranteed to not , there was a guy who used to have the same kind of wire that Kenwood uses but he has gone out of business, I myself have the kit and have not used it because knock on wood the 710 g on my nightstand is working fine with a normal cat cable , for me it's all exposed and an easy swap if it does become an issue , but if your gonna rip your car apart and mount the radio hidden away , you may want to do it just once using the Kenwood cable , it's entirely your choice though , work smarter or work harder as they say .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

wrath

Always best to Read the radio first, save that to a safe place. Then you will have a back up "code plug''.
I always Read the radio first, then make changes. Then put that back into the radio.

No the 'coupler' and Cat cable do not work due to the way Kenwood uses the pairs. You will get ticking in the transmit audio from the data line crossing over into the mic line. A known problem.
That's not a guarantee , I have the kit but so far haven't used it because I have complete quiet both on the local machine and simplex , but as I wrote in my above post this is my nightstand radio , so I can be lazy and not get in my wheelchair to go sit at my bases , so it's very easy access and would be all of about ten second to swap ,if he is gonna rip his car apart to mount it hidden away with just the head and mic showing then absolutely use the Kenwood cable , work smarter so you don't work harder!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

cmdrwill

So you are saying it's better to bite the bullet and buy the Kenwood extension cable set for $65 vs a good Cat-6 for about $10?

Cat 6 will NOT help the known ticking problem.

Using the 'cat 'cables will put the clock/data line twisted together with the microphone line, can you say CROSSTALK!

I have made a few cables using 'cat' cable but wired with attention to crosstalk.

Kenwood did not even follow the RJ45 standard numbering the pins backwards, and has a problem with poor contact in the mic cable connectors. But Kenwood did not intend for us to uses 'cat' cables either.

Status
Not open for further replies.