• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TM-G707

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I work in a Hospital / Flight Following Communication Center that has a Kenwood TM-G707 for ham use. I know this radio is intended for amateur radio (Which we would use in a disaster). I know this radio is not meant to be a scanner but I figured since it has the function, why not use it. Currently, I have programmed the most used Aviation Freqs (Tower, Ground, APR/DEP, ARTCC) and Ham Repeaters. The scan function is very slow and only stays on the channel for a few seconds. Is there any way to speed up the scanning and increase the amount of time it stays on a frequency?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
John,

I didn't look for any information on scanning speed as that is the result of the design and indented use. Dedicated scanner always beats communication transceivers on speed and I can't say I have ever found a radio you could change the scanning speed on. Not to say there isn't.

On page 39 of the manual I Googled.

Time-Operated mode​
Your transceiver stops scanning when detecting a signal,​
remains there for approximately 5 seconds, and then​
continues to scan even if the signal is still present.​
•​
Carrier-Operated mode

Your transceiver stops scanning when detecting a signal​
and remains on the same frequency until the signal drops​
out. There is a 2 second delay between signal drop-out and​
scan resumption to allow time for any responding stations to​
begin transmitting.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
John,

I didn't look for any information on scanning speed as that is the result of the design and indented use. Dedicated scanner always beats communication transceivers on speed and I can't say I have ever found a radio you could change the scanning speed on. Not to say there isn't.

On page 39 of the manual I Googled.

Time-Operated mode​
Your transceiver stops scanning when detecting a signal,​
remains there for approximately 5 seconds, and then​
continues to scan even if the signal is still present.​
•​
Carrier-Operated mode

Your transceiver stops scanning when detecting a signal​
and remains on the same frequency until the signal drops​
out. There is a 2 second delay between signal drop-out and​
scan resumption to allow time for any responding stations to​
begin transmitting.

Ah, Thank you. Hmmm... The only problem with that, is I am scanning aviation frequencies with no tone.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I no longer have the radio or the manual right in front of me (an wont for another week, I work PRN). How would I get the radio to scan in Carrier-Operated Mode? The only thing I have access to is the codeplug and the software I have on my laptop.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Just don't put any "tones" in the codeplug.

Just looked at the codeplug. All the Aviation freqs have no tones, The Frequencies that have tones programmed are repeaters that require the tones for access. Those are programmed with "Tone" mode and not "T Sql" Mode.
In "Tone" Mode, Only the CTCSS is able to be selected. (I'm assuming thats TX CTCSS?). and the RX CTCSS is grayed out. In "T Sql" Mode, Both CTCSS and RX CTCSS are able to be selected. I don't have anything programmed with the "T Sql" Mode, Just "Tone". During scan mode, it is only stopping on the frequency for a few seconds regardless of whether or not the conversation is finished.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Just looked at the codeplug. All the Aviation freqs have no tones, The Frequencies that have tones programmed are repeaters that require the tones for access. Those are programmed with "Tone" mode and not "T Sql" Mode.
In "Tone" Mode, Only the CTCSS is able to be selected. (I'm assuming thats TX CTCSS?). and the RX CTCSS is grayed out. In "T Sql" Mode, Both CTCSS and RX CTCSS are able to be selected. I don't have anything programmed with the "T Sql" Mode, Just "Tone". During scan mode, it is only stopping on the frequency for a few seconds regardless of whether or not the conversation is finished.

You need to change your scan mode from time to carrier. In time mode it hold on the channel for a predetermined amount of time, then resumes scanning even if a signal is present, in carrier mode, scanning pauses, until the carrier drops. It then waits about 2 seconds, then resumes scanning if no carrier is detected.

Look through the radio menu to fina a 'scan resume' type setting.

Aswell to adress the 'tone' question, when in scan mode, if there is a receive tone(tsql) set, the radio will pause on a TSQL channel, determin if the signal has the valid TSQL if not, it will continue scanning. If it is the right tone it will send audio to the speaker.

TONE only(transmit ctcss) has no bearing on scanning in any way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.