Kenwood: Kenwood TM-V71

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruzjuanpr

Hi all,

I recently acquired a used TM-V71, my problem is that it doesn't RX or TX and when I keyed the ptt on band (a) the radio just makes two beep sounds but the on-air on display don't show up either.

everything on band (b) work fine.

any ideas?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Assuming you are in the USA, tune the radio to your local NOAA Weather Radio frequency (162.400 through 162.550 MHz in 25 kHz steps). You should hear something.

Two beeps on transmit sounds like you might be trying to transmit outside of the amateur radio bands.

cruzjuanpr

Thanks, I tune in to the weather band and there's is no audio. this is happening only in band a, band b has no problem.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Older Kenwood radios had a well-known problem with bandwidth filters resulting in poor RX sensitivity on one or both bands, but I don't recall that TX was affected. Change the bandwidth setting on Band A and see if anything changes.

bharvey2

What are you suing for a power supply? If power is insufficient, you'll have trouble when you key up. I can't remember what the TM-V71A does but given what you've explained I'd confirm power first. At full power, I think the current draw is 10-12A.

bharvey2

It was working with the current set up, Power supply is 50a rated.

Well, if you can verify that the output voltage of your power supply is steady when you key up (that may be a worthwhile test) then the next step I would consider is putting your coax and antenna on an analyzer to ensure it's still resonant at your desired frequency range. If it's way off, it could cause your transmitter to shut down when you key up. I was hoping to find a "beep code" definition in the TM-V71A service manual but there was none to be had. I found the service manual just no beep explanations ) Since it was all working at one time, eliminating all relevant components as problems will need to be done.

I also have a number of V71A radios. I remember testing one in my garage and although it would receive fine, as soon as I keyed up, it would reboot. It turned out that I had a bad connection to my power supply. Repairing the connection corrected it.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.