Kenwood TM-V71A 9 pin serial to USB adaptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sckeith

Hello

I am thinking about getting a Kenwood TM-V71A mobile unit for the home. I want to be able to use the radio with my computer for programming but the optional cable has a 9 pin d serial connector and my computer only has use connectors Would one of those USB to 9 pin D adaptors work with no problem

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I used to have the TM-D710, which, from my understanding, uses the same RF sections as the V71 but a different control head.
I had no issues programming the 710 with a USB to 9 pin RS232 adapter.

From my experience, and from what I've read at other sites, there seems to be some models that don't do radio programming well. Best bet is to buy one and give it a try. If it doesn't work, don't give up. Return it and try another.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The USB cable that RT Systems sells for the TM-V71 and TM-D710 is reported to work well. It's less expensive than the Kenwood cable plus a USB to RS-232 converter.

LtDoc

The RT System's cable and converter only work with their software, won't work with any other software (such as Kenwood's). If you get their software then naturally you should get their cables.
- 'Doc

Howdy_All

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Here is what my net search came up with - Programming Cable Kenwood TM-D710 TM-V71 PG-5G PG5G | eBay

I think the one I bought was sold by KAWA

Here is a better site and vendor -http://chirp.danplanet.com/projecthttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Programming-Cable-Kenwood-TM-D710-TM-V71-PG-5G-PG5G-/120496212074s/chirp/wiki

I believe that the Chirp program is free

Last edited:

sckeith

Thank for the info I see there are lots of options. Will be ordering the radio in the next day or two

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The RT System's cable and converter only work with their software, won't work with any other software (such as Kenwood's).
Do you have direct experience that it won't work?

I received the following message from Bill Bowen AC8IH in response to my question as to whether or not the RT Systems cable will work with other programs:
ABSOLUTELY - that is how I have my TM-D710A hooked up here and the RTSystems cable works with their software, with the Kenwood MCP-2A program and with UI-View. I've even used it with a terminal program (HyperTerminal) to send direct commands to the TM-D710.

Status
Not open for further replies.